cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM is ending PAYG - so where now to go?

HenryQ
Superfast

VM has texted me that their PAYG service will be switched off on 11 Jan 2022. I bought my phone from VM some years ago and, because I only make a few calls a year (e.g. to call the wife when I'm going to be late), I don't need anything other than a straightforward PAYG.

I don't use the phone for anything else, except to receive those annoying one-time-passwords that banks insist upon.

I'd welcome thoughts on where to take my (PAYG) custom, since I have no need of a monthly contract.

25 REPLIES 25

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Here is the URL

We use the same format as other forum users. 

Can you see private messages anywhere? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Ah ha! Having just turned on the above, the mysterious purple envelope has suddenly appeared top-right of the screen.

Yes, I think we are now privately in touch.

Out of the blue, I have just received an unsolicited email from VM saying, "We've given you the Good old chinwag badge."

Could one of the children at VM please explain what this means?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @HenryQ 

The following link explains the badges /WelcomeBadgesAndRanks 

Basically each post you make is awarded a point, and as Brucie would say, "what do points make? Prizes"

So basically you get the prize of a new badge dependent upon how may points you have which match the points criteria for each badge.

It can be annoying to some people, especially if they are having issues and just want answers.

It may also encourage others to make more post so they attain a new badge, and it could also be classed as a reward for those taking their time to help other users.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Problem solved
My phone is now unlocked. I spoke to a third VM support person this morning and, to my relief, she understood the problem perfectly.

To summarise, VM sent me an unlock code, looking something like this:

It turns out it is not a single 21-character unlock code. It is two separate 10-digit unlock codes separated with a comma. I entered one of the 10-digit strings and, Bingo, the code was accepted and my phone is now unlocked.

There was nothing in the email containing the unlock code that described this.

Thanks everyone above for their interest in the problem.