cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Mobile coverage/service status

mstombs
Superfast

Hi, having intermittent mobile data recently, claims connected but pauses in communication.  Suspect due to the switch from EE to Vodafone?  Is there any easy way to tell which service your phone is using - no recent SIM swap?

Have used all networks in past, EE was the best, O2 the worst, Three patchy, looks like will have to go a contract direct with EE...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mstombs wrote:

Hi, having intermittent mobile data recently, claims connected but pauses in communication.  Suspect due to the switch from EE to Vodafone?  Is there any easy way to tell which service your phone is using - no recent SIM swap?

Have used all networks in past, EE was the best, O2 the worst, Three patchy, looks like will have to go a contract direct with EE...

If you do a manual network search and EE is listed but Vodafone is missing (been replaced by Virgin) then you are on Vodafone. 

Intermittent data sounds like it is something other than signal strength.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for the issues faced mstombs,

Welcome back to the community.

Obvious question regarding this however have you been able to reboot the handset and remove the SIM for 2 minutes?

Also roughly when have you been experiencing the problem since?

Thanks,

Kain

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mstombs wrote:

If you do a manual network search and EE is listed but Vodafone is missing (been replaced by Virgin) then you are on Vodafone. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@enlli wrote:

Everyone with a Virgin Mobile SIM is on the Vodafone radio network now.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Good advice thanks, I have Virgin 4G/3G/2G on Virgin. EE 4G on EE, also Virgin 4G/3G/2G on EE, O2 and 3UK listed. No Vodafone, so that must be the Virgin service.

Will not manually connect to Virgin on EE!

I regularly reboot phone, haven't removed SIM, sounds like the "Turn it off and on again advice!"  it works better in evenings, a problem in city with university students and tourists, networks get overloaded.  Problem with O2 is acknowledged on their service checker, but it's been like this for years.  5G not yet available, so not an option,

"Our Network can get busy in this area.

This means your data could be slower than normal. We’re sorry about that. Our team is aware and working to make it better. Our top tips for staying connected would be to find local Wifi hotspots and download whatever content you need whilst connected to Wifi, so you can still enjoy it on the move.

We're currently working to improve the quality of coverage in this area. While our engineers carry out their work, you may find your signal drops in and out – sorry if this happens.

We're doing our best to minimise any impact on the local signal."

Vodafone service checker doesn't report any issues, Virgin Mobile website doesn't even offer an opinion,

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there,

Just to touch on the intermittency, how long roughly have you been experiencing this?

Also are any calls affected by this?

Thanks,

Kain

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If O2 is not an option then I suggest you don't tie yourself into any long contracts.

Virgin signed a 5 year deal with Vodafone, but have since given notification of termination of contract. To be expected now Virgin Media and O2 joined forces.

None of us know when Virgin will move to O2 but it certainly be before the 4 years remaining on Vodafone 

Have been noticing issues this year, but thought just related to more people around after lockdowns.  Need a continuous data connection to play geo location games!  Have noticed a difference at home, Vodafone has been voice call connectivity, used to have to go upstairs to get decent connection.  I understand 4G and fall back to older standards may get worse as 5G rolled out, so very much a watch this space. Currently have 4 mobiles on family deal, will be hard to beat for price....

Thank you for letting us know @mstombs.

Do you get poor coverage on multiple devices? Also is this an issue in a certain location or across multiple locations?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

There are certain poor spots, suspect when device switching between towers, but there are also tall buildings around. My current phone now over 2 years old, was definitely better at working on weaker signals than previous, but for obvious reasons networks not been so busy for last couple of years, so need to investigate again. Unfortunately another phone I have access to is on corporate Vodafone so can't easily compare different networks at same location.  I was on EE before switching to Virgin Mobile, performance seems to have changed - but hard to quantify.