cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Data, Texts and Minutes in Germany

alice5
Joining in

I am going to move to Germany in 2 weeks to live there for one year (I will also be travelling to other EU countries).

How does using my data and other allowances work with roam like home? I understadn there is a fair use policy but am not too sure on how it works. It also states in the terms and conditions that "in any rolling 4-month period you must spend more days in the UK than the EU" yet I was told by Virgin Media chat that I would be allowed to use my data for one year in Germany. Could someone please help resolve this as I am very confused?

Thanks 🙂

3 REPLIES 3

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @alice5,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and query! I'm here to help ease some of the confusion you may have on this issue.

As per the Fair Use Policy, we do require our customers to spend more days in the UK than the EU as being abroad over an elongated period of time can stop our services from updating and working correctly. This is because your mobile phone needs to be connected to a UK network in order to work correctly. Moving abroad for a year could potentially lead to not being able to use your mobile services. If a major update is needed and the mobile SIM is not connected to the UK home network, this can lead you to lose access to your service and your mobile number. 

I do apologise if you were advised against this via chat. There is a chance that your services will work, however, we cannot guarantee it and under Our Service page, we need to ensure that you're aware of all the policies we have on hand for this situation.

I'll be happy to look over our systems to ensure that everything is in order before you move abroad. I will send you a Private Message, so please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi - thanks Alice5 for raising this as the information isn't very clear or easy to find online.

Paulina_Z: Thanks for your reply. Just to 100% clarify that I have understood it correctly, provided a phone returns to the UK periodically, it doesn't matter how long it spends in the EU in any four month period? My daughter is studying in France for 110 days. She will return to the UK for 6 days in the middle of that period. Does that mean that she will be able to use her phone for the full duration of her stay in France within the fair use policy?

Many thanks 

Yes that sounds correct, if she is hitting the fair use policy we will text the number to advise of this. - Chris