Menu
Charlotte_1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading Sim only Plan

Hi there

I want to update my plan as I am currently on £12.86 for 2500 minutes and 2 GB data which I have been on for about 10 years with no problem! However I Have recently incurred huge charges for extra data as my broadband at home went down and I have had to use my phone to access internet on my laptop . On looking at my online bill I see that I can now have 8GB and 5000 minutes for only £10 which is a much better deal than what I am currently on for less money. My question is as I do not have a phone with Virgin to be paid off would this be a rolling one month deal that I can cancel at any time or am I tying myself into a 12 month contract? Also if I make this change on my online account will this automatically send out a new sim card? I do not need or want 5G and do not have a phone to support this so would prefer it if you can upgrade the plan with me keeping my old Sim card because I have always had trouble in the past when changing Sims and I do not want to subject myself to spending hours on the phone to Manilla trying to get any sense out of your customer service team if the switch were to go wrong again. Saying that my issues have always been dealt with very efficiently through the Virgin team here so this is now my first port of call.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading Sim only Plan

Probably best contacting sales. Any new plan on Virgin will be a 12 month contract.

However, if its 8GB you are after there are some good deals out there on 30 day rolling 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Charlotte_1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying, I do not want to change from Virgin as I have 2 contracts and my son and I call each other Virgin to Virgin for free.

I believe my current plans are  rolling 30 day contracts so surely simply changing the Data allowance would still be under the same terms. I have looked up the info for Sim only deals for Virgin and it does state that from Feb 2020 they were all put on rolling monthly deals and if you have a phone with them that comes under a separate loan agreement for 24 months but once the phone is paid off if you do not upgrade then you automatically go onto a monthly rolling Sim only contract.

My main concern is if I upgrade my sons monthly allowance will he have to change his Sim card as I wish to avoid that or can they make the changes on his current sim card . Every time we have had to do this it has caused problems resulting in hours wasted on the phone to a useless call centre in Manilla . If we have to change Sims I would rather just stay on the current plan although it is not the best value. He did update to the new purple 4G sim in December 2018 so I am hoping it is a simple process to just upgrade the plan.

Many Thanks

Joanne

Many Thanks

Joanne

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Charlotte_1

Thanks for taking the time to raise your query in regards to your Virgin mobile services and SIM plan, we're happy to help with this.

You are correct in that if you originally took a handset and tariff but the handset has now been paid off the tariff would be then on a monthly rolling basis. If you would like me to look into changing the tariff for you I'm happy to do so, depending on which tariff you choose it may require a new SIM (for example if you go from a 4G tariff to a 5G tariff) but you would retain the same number. If not we can simply update the plan on your account and there would be no need for a new SIM card.

If you would like me to help with this just let me know here, you can also take a look at our current SIM Only deals here virg.in/vmobile to give you an idea of what's available. I am unable to process any handset order, for this you would need to speak to the team on 789 or 0345 600 0789.

Rob

0 Kudos
Charlotte_1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob

Thank you for your reply, yes please I would like you to look into which tariff's would be available without changing the sim card as he does not need 5G. I see there is a 5000 minutes 8GB for £10 a month available on my selection of available tariff's when I go into my account but I do not know if this is a 5G tariff which would then generate a new Sim card if I were to select it? I would prefer it to be done on your end with a tariff that you know can be updated to his existing Sim card.

Do you want to private message me so as I can send you the contract in question as there are two numbers under my name and address.

Many Thanks

Joanne

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Joanne, 

Yes if I could get your details that would be fab! 

I will pop you over a private message. 

Thanks, 

Sasha 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Afternoon Joanne, 

I have sorted everything out for you and have PM'd you all the details. 

If you do have any issues please feel free to get in touch and I'm more than happy to help 

Thanks very much for your patience, and happy to assist if you have any further queries 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos