Menu
RobinRamone1
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Update Broke Iphone 7

Hello Community!

I really do hope someone can help with this issue, I see other Iphone 7 users have had this issue.

In brief : Virgin Mobile were nagging my daughters phone to update to latest IOS, constantly asking to update. She had no space for it, being a teenager with a phone full of stuff. Anyway  I help her clear the phone by means of google photos etc... she finally did the update and it broke all mics on her phone.

I went to the Apple store to confirm this, Phone gets a clean bill of health apart from it it not being a phone anymore. They say as we got it via Virgin it is their responsibility.  They gave us a report to give them. They said that under Consumer Law we should be covered. The phone is one month out of warranty.

I called Virgin Customer Service only to be told it was my fault for only taking a one year warranty, I I argued about Consumer law etc... She was not having any of it. Reading from a  script I guess. We are on a 3 year contract.

So in summary, an update supplied by Apple ,delivered by Virgin broke my daughter's phone. She's autistic and we need to be able to talk to her on her phone.  

Does anyone know of a fix? Or who to go to in Virgin, there is no complaints form on their site.

I am about to seek legal help but i thought i'd put this up here first.

Thanks for reading,

Robin

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Update Broke Iphone 7

Hi RobinRamone1, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm very sorry that since updating your daughter's phone there has been an issue with the microphone, this ins't what we like to hear and I can fully appreciate your frustration with this. 

With all iPhone's you will only get 12 months warranty, this isn't set by us but Apple themselves. If there's an issue with a handset that's out of warranty then we'd suggest contacting your Insurance provider if you have Insurance for the handset. 

Have you tried resetting the handset again, do the issues still occur? Is it still an issue when the phone is on speaker, playing a video out loud, on a call? 

Let me know, we're keen to help as much as possible. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
RobinRamone1
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

It is the Mics that are not working ,when running Voice  Memo is says no audio device detected.  Apple have given me a report to give  to Virgin that says the phone is  has not been damaged by neglect / water etc.... Apple advise me to take this up with Virgin under a Consume Claim.

I had not thought about Household Insurance, would I be covered for an update delivered by Virgin from Apple breaks the phone mics?

We tried a full reset and restore etc...  I read somewhere that the recent update does a stress test on the device and it is this that breaks the mics.

It is extremely frustrating.

Robin

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This from Which?

If an update to a digital device – such as an operating system update to your phone – causes your device to cease to function, then you could potentially be protected by the Consumer Rights Act.

The same applies if you download an app which damages your phone.

In both cases the retailer (rather than the developer) will have to compensate you if any device or other digital content you own is damaged as a result of the faulty update.

This only applies where the damage wouldn’t have happened if ‘reasonable care and skill’ been exercised in the provision of the digital content – even if that content was provided free of charge.

This could mean that if an app or operating system update damages your phone to the point where it’s no longer usable, you could be entitled to compensation from the retailer who sold you the phone or the app store through which you purchased the app.

Note use of 'could' Worth perusing outside of Virgin for further advice

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

RobinRamone1
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is what apple are advising but the virgin customer support had not heard of the consumer rights act.

Thank you and I am in the queue to see if i get better response.
0 Kudos
RobinRamone1
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No Joy.

Virgin say when you buy a phone through their site, on a contract you are buying it from Apple not form Virgin. Virgin are only providing a service. Apple say the opposite.

They advise to take it into a virgin shop where they can explain it better. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@RobinRamone1 wrote:

No Joy.

Virgin say when you buy a phone through their site, on a contract you are buying it from Apple not form Virgin. Virgin are only providing a service. Apple say the opposite.

They advise to take it into a virgin shop where they can explain it better. 

Absolute rubbish. The problem with the overseas customer service is if they haven't a clue they say anything to get you off the line.
It's one thing that Virgin really need to sort out but I can't see Liberty Global spending money on Virgin which is just small fry in their empire

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Under the 1979 Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to get the seller to repair or replace faulty goods for up to six years (five years in Scotland) after purchase. If you paid Virgin Media for the phone then VM is the seller. If you paid by credit card you might also be able to claim from the CC company.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. 

We could look at booking it in for an out of warranty repair and if our team find that it's a known issue caused by the software update then we could look at fixing it. 

However if there is any damage to the handset we wouldn't be able to do this free of charge, this is because when you sent a handset too us we either have to send it back how we received it or back within warranty. We wouldn't be able to fix one issue to do with the software if you had a cracked screen if that makes sense. 

If you're happy for us to do this then we'd need to take a closer look at your account first, so pop me a personal message and we'll take things from there. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
RobinRamone1
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emma, the report I have from apple gives the phone a clean bill of health,apart from being a phone. (i.e. to use it as a phone)

Would I take it into a Virgin Store or arrange for it to be sent? 

Again thanks.

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos