Menu
Highlighted
JonSC
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unsolicited SIM upgrades still causing problems in 2020

I too have fallen victim to Virgin's unsolicited SIM upgrade pressure and this is Feb 2020.  I too have no phone and have been badly treated by Virgin's call centre.  As a loyal customer of 15 years I am deeply saddened by the experience.  Virgin has offered no help and I am at a loss.

I foolishly followed Virgin's to install their new SIM "... as soon as possible as old SIM won't be supported …".  It did not work.  After half hour call to the Virgin helpline I was told to wait 24hours whilst new SIM was activated.  It still did not work.  Further helpline calls and I told now it's my problem with my phone and nothing more for Virgin!

I am at a complete loss as what to do.  If Virgin has any customer care consideration they would solve this / send a new phone / activate old SIM.

Will you Virgin?  You should.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unsolicited SIM upgrades still causing problems in 2020

What phone are you using?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JonSC
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm using a Sony k800i and have been since buying new from Virgin Oxford Street, London.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JonSC
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm using a Sony k800i and have been since buying it new from Virgin Oxford Street, London.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A number of possible scenarios

The phone is network locked. When bought that would be when Virgin SIM cards were rebadged EE. The new SIM cards are not and the phone would see the SIM as a different network. If that's the case you would require an Unlocking Code. As it is the old Sony Erricson that may, or may not be available.

The phone's firmware may not be compatible with the new SIM. There have been a few cases of that on here with the old Java based software.

The SIM is faulty, but the only way of checking would be to try it in an unlocked phone.

I think I is the most likely to start with. If Virgin can't supply a code then you need to move to a network that is still EE based such as ASDA or Plusnet.

The K800i is now 14 years old from launch so compatibility issues can arise. 

You can try to keep it going but you will probably have to replace it in the future with the demise of 3G in around 2 years time.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JonSC
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is incredibly helpful and you have put Virgin's call centre to shame.

After 14 years the phone with its Virgin network became a loyal friend and it saddens me to know its days are numbered and more so because of Virgin's false publicity; namely "... you must do this [swap SIM] soon … simple steps … should take 10 minutes or less to start working …". Umn.

Virgin should have warned of the risk given the phone was bought from them and still carries their logo. Had they done so I could have warned my friends and family and delayed the SIM change until ready with a new phone.

The SIM is not faulty (having tried it in someone else's phone). I'll now try for an un-lock code although I'm not hopeful having failed in this regards a couple of years ago. After that I'll try other networks - unless Virgin take pity and offer a replacement phone and show they value my 14 years of loyalty. They are after all still taking my direct debits.

Thanks again for your help.
0 Kudos