Menu
Mr-S
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unsolicited Premium Text Messages - £4.50 text!

Today I checked my bank statement and noticed that my monthly bill usually £9.50 was £23.50, I have been receiving Premium text costing me £4.50 each time. I have never subscribed to anything on my phone or made any donations via my phone. How do I stop receiving these messages and how do I claim my money back.

0 Kudos
Mr-S
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unsolicited Premium Text Messages - £4.50 text!

What number do I call at Virgin to get this number barred. I am due to get another one of these texts in one days time as they have been arriving every week. I have not even opened them so I don't know how I have been charged. If I do not get my money back from Virgin I will be closing my account immediately .
0 Kudos
Mr-S
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i called virgin and they have barred premium rate texts to my phone, hope it works, going to report number to psaauthority to claim my money back
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mr-S, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Very sorry to hear that you have been having some issues with premium rate messages and the charges. 

It's great that our team have hopefully got this stopped for you and I'm sure no further charges will be applied. 

It is best to report this as you've advised to see if you can claim your money back. If you do need any further help though please let us know. 

Thanks Smiley Happy 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Mr-S
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Its been a week and a half since I contacted the PSA Authority and I haven't heard anything back from them. I am still annoyed that Virgin do stop spam text messages of this kind automatically. Virgin and other service providers have known about this scam since at least 2016! and yet nothing has been done to stop their customers being scammed.

So how do I get my refund of £13.50. I am getting a new phone for Christmas and seriously if I do not have my refund by then I will be moving to my Wife's provider Talkmobile, she has never had any of these problems.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mr-S,

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues with getting a refund. You would need to contact the company in which the charges originally came from to get the refund.

^Martin

0 Kudos
Mr-S
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Premium text

789921NO1£0.00

After putting my sim into my new phone this appeared on my bill, looking online it says its a Virgin text delivering settings to my phone?

I have looked online and a lot of people have ended up getting charged for this text. I called Virgin a month ago cancelling premium rate text messages getting to my phone, so is this from Virgin or not and will it happen again?

0 Kudos
teabag
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Mr-S wrote:
Premium text

789921NO1£0.00

After putting my sim into my new phone this appeared on my bill, looking online it says its a Virgin text delivering settings to my phone?

I have looked online and a lot of people have ended up getting charged for this text. I called Virgin a month ago cancelling premium rate text messages getting to my phone, so is this from Virgin or not and will it happen again?

That is from Virgin when sending the APN settings to your phone, they have always been classed as a Premium Text - not sure why?, usually like yours - it will not have a charge, but some have been charged wrongly in the past when abroad.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos