I have a code from virgin to unlock my iPhone 5 how do I use it
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlocking phone

There are no codes to unlock a iPhone. 

100Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 100Mb Business 5 Static IP (Hitron Hub)
TiVo V6 Full House TV
Sky Q Entertainment, HD & Box Sets,
0 Kudos
Bevspain
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I phoned virgin at end of contract and they gave me code to unlock phone
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With iDevices unlocking can only be done by Apple through your contract provider - in this case Virginmedia, you apply & pay the fee then within 7-14 days you'll receive an email or text to say the unlock has gone through & to connect your iPhone to iTunes to complete the unlock. 

I suspect that VM have given you a code for a locked sim - PUK code.

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
Leah14
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How long does it take to unlock an iPhone? Haven’t been able to use my phone for a week. Rang up 3 times and getting different responses. Not very happy! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you bought your iPhone via Virginmedia then it should be already unlocked depending on how old it is, earlier iPhones just require a software update to the latest iOS (if possible).
With other providers it may take upto 7 days (usually much quicker - 48 hours) & you may have to connect the phone to iTunes to complete the unlock.
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/how-unlock-iphone-use-any-sim-3623420/
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201328

0 Kudos
Leah14
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have waited 7 days now for virgin to unlock my iPhone 6s and it still hasn’t been unlocked. And you can’t unlock via iTunes apple confirmed it’s not possible. Not very happy my phone hasn’t worked properly since this new purple sim. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried using a different carrier’s SIM card to see if it will unlock? (Not EE as that is the same as VM).

Using iTunes you have to create a backup then you erase your phone to unlock it then restore from the backup.

Virgin Mobile
Virgin says any iPhone purchased from the company within the past year or so will be unlocked already, but some older iPhones might not have the same luck.

The good news is that all you'll need to do is update your iPhone to iOS 8 or later and it'll be unlocked for you. (Note that updating iOS will install the most recent version that your device is capable of running, so at time of writing most active iPhones will get iOS 11. This is fine for these purposes, and has lots of nice new features too.)

If your iPhone isn't compatible with a sufficiently recent version of iOS - that is, if it's an iPhone 4 or older - you'll be able to perform a full restore of your iPhone to unlock it. Don't forget to back up your data first, though.

Leah14
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I rang virgin and they said they are going to unlock the phone for me even though I didn’t purchase the phone from them as my phone is locked to the old virgin sim and only the carrier can unlock an iPhone. However I just wanted to know how long this process would take? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It can take upto 7 working days. 

0 Kudos