Menu
Highlighted
HighlandCoo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Unlocking VM iPhone 8 for foreign SIM

Hi, 

I have a monthly contract iPhone 8 with VM. I’m planning on going to Thailand in September for 3 weeks and was wondering about a Thai SIM card to access data rather than just using WiFi. 

How do I go about making sure that my phone will accept the SIM? Do I need to unlock it? 

I can’t find anything about it on the VM site and I’m not looking to leave VM, just use a Thai SIM for 3 weeks.

Any help gratefully received! 

TIA.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unlocking VM iPhone 8 for foreign SIM

Not sure how long you have had your phone. iPhones used to lock to the first network used but they did away with that around 18 months ago. The easiest way is to simply try a SIM card from another network. I would suggest one from 3, O2 or Vodafone to be safe. If it works you are good to go. If, not then you will need to ring 789 and request it being unlocked.

HighlandCoo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlocking VM iPhone 8 for foreign SIM

I’ve had it about 11 or 12 months.

That’s really helpful, thank you! 😊

@enlli wrote:

Not sure how long you have had your phone. iPhones used to lock to the first network used but they did away with that around 18 months ago. The easiest way is to simply try a SIM card from another network. I would suggest one from 3, O2 or Vodafone to be safe. If it works you are good to go. If, not then you will need to ring 789 and request it being unlocked.

0 Kudos