cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock phone

Sheila10
Joining in

I have a Samsung J3 i bought from Virgin several years ago. I now have a new phone and am still using a Virgin sim but want to use my old phone to use abroad. How can i tell if it's unlocked so that i can get another sim for it? Or is it already unlocked ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Sheila10, some Samsung devices do allow you to see if this is the case or not (but not all unfortunately).

Please see the below steps - use the Phone dialer:
For some select Samsung devices, dialing this code will show you if it’s network locked or not: *#7465625#

If your phone shows an a screen with these three items, check out the explanations below to know what each of them means:

[ ] Network lock

[ ] Subset  lock

[ ] SP lock

If all three items are indicated as OFF, then your Samsung phone must be network unlocked.

If Network lock says ON, then your Samsung device is network locked.

If Subset  lock is ON, then your Samsung device has to be unlocked and requires a code from the original carrier.

If SP lock is ON, then your Samsung device has to be unlocked and requires a code from the service provider. Some third party retail shops can provide you this code.

If nothing happens when you dial *#7465625# you can assume that your phone’s firmware does not allow the code, or its service menu has been disabled.

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Sheila10, thanks for your post here in the community.

Generally, a phone is unlocked once you've either bought it outright and it's listed as "SIM-Free" or you've finished paying your monthly plan for the handset - once you've all paid up, that phone then becomes unlocked too.

If you try popping in an alternative SIM to your Virgin Media one (do your family or friends have an alternative network SIM?), then this will work in the handset and display reception from the relevant network with no issues.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need further support.

Many thanks

Tom_W

I' d like to know if my phone is unlocked BEFORE  I buy a sim card. I have paid for my phone. Would unlocking be automatic? 

Hi @Sheila10, some Samsung devices do allow you to see if this is the case or not (but not all unfortunately).

Please see the below steps - use the Phone dialer:
For some select Samsung devices, dialing this code will show you if it’s network locked or not: *#7465625#

If your phone shows an a screen with these three items, check out the explanations below to know what each of them means:

[ ] Network lock

[ ] Subset  lock

[ ] SP lock

If all three items are indicated as OFF, then your Samsung phone must be network unlocked.

If Network lock says ON, then your Samsung device is network locked.

If Subset  lock is ON, then your Samsung device has to be unlocked and requires a code from the original carrier.

If SP lock is ON, then your Samsung device has to be unlocked and requires a code from the service provider. Some third party retail shops can provide you this code.

If nothing happens when you dial *#7465625# you can assume that your phone’s firmware does not allow the code, or its service menu has been disabled.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks Tom, I'll check these things out. 

Hi @Sheila10, no problem at all!

Please let me know if you need any further help in the future.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom,

I'm interested in knowing about my old iPhone 8 and how I check to see if that's unlocked?

I too am planning on going to Thailand later in the year and would like a local SIM card to use whilst I'm there.

Any advice?

TIA 😀

HC

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Here's how to tell if your iPhone is unlocked in Settings:
  1. Open the Settings app on the iPhone in question.
  2. Scroll down and tap General.
  3. Tap About.
  4. Scroll to the bottom and look for Carrier Lock. If it says No SIM restrictions, then your iPhone is unlocked and you're free to use any carrier or cell service.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HighlandCoo
On our wavelength
Oh Thank you for that, it was really helpful! 🙂