Menu
ncrossy1980
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unlimited everything for free?

So today I changed my Virgin bundle over to the Ultimate Oomph bundle or whatever it's called, which comes with a free 4G sim.  The sales rep on the phone told me about this and to be frank, I'm not sure I was given the right info as this has to be impossible.

He told me the 4G sim card that comes with the Oomph bundle is:

- Completely free, £0 per month, forever, even after you leave Virgin

- Unlimited free calls and texts

- Unlimited 4G data

It's basically a completely subsidised service with no charge at all, there's a phone plan do what you want on us, forever, I directly asked him if there was any way to incur a cost with this sim card, he said no.

Forgive me for being cynical but, this isn't my first rodeo and I cannot comprehend how or why a business would hand out a sim card which they receive zero return on even after the customer leaves their other services.

Does anyone have the actual scoop on this or can confirm it's true? I didn't take the bundle on the strength of this but I also don't want to be hit by unexpected fees.

I recorded the call so I have all this backed up.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlimited everything for free?

Well what some ** he gave out there :-(

The SIM is part of the Oomph package and monthly price of SIM is covered in the package.  Cancel/finish the Oomph package - SIM will go with it, or maybe choice to pay for it monthly, current price is £32 monthly.

It includes unlimited calls to 01, 02, 03 and 0800 Landline numbers plus UK mobile numbers, unlimited SMS (text) is included, unlimited data included while in the UK.

A MMS (multimedia messages) are not included and will cost 50p a throw, all calls not included in above paragraph will occur extra charges.

You can set the "Spending Cap" to "Use Allowances Only" - so you will not to be able to make any additional charges.

All terms, pricing for out of allowance use, can be found by browsing through the SIM Only pages  https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim?contractDuration=12&tariffID=1709711619

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
ncrossy1980
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It would appear I can't attach files here so I can't present the **, but I did indeed suspect that he was lying or misinformed.  

Thanks for confirming, I'll report this to Virgin as a misleading sale.  

0 Kudos
ezy
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's unlimited within a fair use policy in the UK

When roaming in the EU the data allowance is limited according to the t&c's it seems and there is a calculator to tell you what the "value" is

(although that is found on the mobile only page of VM's website)

When mobile phone companies talk "unlimited"  calls, text & data they are nearly always talking about "everyday normal use" not roaming or special phone numbers.  So VM were likely just terming it the same as other companies do unless you specifically asked about specific "unusual" numbers. The roaming data is still quite generous for say a 2 week holiday but you would burn through it if streaming video by the pool every day.   (Again it is usual for mobile phone companies to have limitations on roaming - especially EU roaming where they could be "gamed" by customers who buy a phone in one country but use it all the time in another.  While the EU made roaming charges a thing of the past they did not force countries to charge the same for the "licences" they needed to operate their networks. Therefore it is possible to take a service from one country where the handset & contract is cheap and use it in another country where the costs to the company are far more expensive - so they nearly all limit their exposure to loses from that arbitrage )

I used to have EE and moved to Vodafone (40gb data, unlimited minutes & texts) as the signal was so poor in my house. But the signal has improved (I am in a 5G EE area so I thought they might have improved the mast) and the VM sim works well in my house so I transferred my number over from Vodafone.    

One thing that is annoying, while Vodafone supported "RCS" for a couple of years (the Android upgrade to SMS that operates like Whatsapp for no cost data sending of pictures etc instead of costly MMS) VM (and EE) did not support it.  Google got impatient waiting for networks to follow Vodafone and others and pushed RCS out to everyone with a modern Android handset regardless of whether the network supported it recently.  Turning "Chat" on in the message app settings ended up with the majority of my messages not being received until later on I found the messages were showing as not received and I had to manually resend as SMS.  Very annoying.  (Chat has been turned off on my phone so I am back to using SMS and whatsapp for anything that would go as MMS)

0 Kudos
PoppyAnn
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When I started on the oomph package the sales agent said that the price will be £85 per month plus a £25 install cost I asked if this the total including the unlimited mobile phone call,text and data sim the agent said yes there will not be anything else to pay I asked about mms message charges and he stated the package includes all charges and there will not be anything else to pay for.

Why is it that I am being charged £95 per month plus extra for mms messages as mms messages are sent via data and I get unlimited data I should not have to pay extra for them with paying for data and then paying for mms messages I am being charged twice for the same thing, these charges are unfair and should be stopped. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin, and a number of other UK providers have always charged for MMS. Prices have risen in the last couple of years. Three let the cat out the bag when they said they would really like to discontinue MMS as archaic technology. 

RCS is the ideal replacement but the networks are dragging their heels.

Interestingly, my own supplier allows both RCS and free MMS

0 Kudos