cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set up Chat features on Google Messages

td97
On our wavelength

I am unable to activate the Google Messages Chat feature as demonstrated by the screenshot. The status is stuck on "trying to verify"

I've already tried

• Restarting device
  • Clear data for Messages
  • Clear data for Carrier Services
  • Reset network settings
  • Removing SIM

I think the issue is occuring because I had a temporary number for 1 day before my number ported across.

VM Whatsapp support have apparently "refreshed" my network settings but to no avail.

Any further help much appreciated

Screenshot_20220224-194612_Messages.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@td97 wrote:

It's possible my number is tied to my old Vodafone account in the Google Chat system. I will contact Vodafone to see if they can deactivate

Possible. Vodafone used their own chat servers before Google took over. Not sure if that is true now but if it is it may explain why it would work with a temporary number and not the ported one.

As a side note: From the S22 on Samsung will be ditching there own app in favour of Google.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @td97

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

We would need you to contact Vodafone / Google to get this looked into, I've checked everything on my part and cannot see any reason whatsoever this should not be working. 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@enlli wrote:

Possible. Vodafone used their own chat servers before Google took over. Not sure if that is true now but if it is it may explain why it would work with a temporary number and not the ported one.

As a side note: From the S22 on Samsung will be ditching there own app in favour of Google.

The fact that the Google de-registration form doesn't work would seem to indicate the number is registered with another RCS service.

Also I think the 'Google Messages by default' is only for the US at the moment - all the news stories specifically mention the US but nowhere else. But now that the S22 Ultra has started to be delivered, I'm sure we'll find out what the UK devices have by default.

Shouldn't be an issue either way for RCS though - Samsung Messages supports RCS too including the Google version.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

td97
On our wavelength

To update this thread, the issue seemingly resolved itself after about 30 days, which ties in with a post I saw on an android forum stating that a number is reset after this amount of inactivity.

Glad to hear this is now resolved for you @td97

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us on community forums, we'll be here to help! 🙂 

All the best, 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley