cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set up Chat features on Google Messages

td97
On our wavelength

I am unable to activate the Google Messages Chat feature as demonstrated by the screenshot. The status is stuck on "trying to verify"

I've already tried

• Restarting device
  • Clear data for Messages
  • Clear data for Carrier Services
  • Reset network settings
  • Removing SIM

I think the issue is occuring because I had a temporary number for 1 day before my number ported across.

VM Whatsapp support have apparently "refreshed" my network settings but to no avail.

Any further help much appreciated

Screenshot_20220224-194612_Messages.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What phone do you have?

There are some additional tips here you may want to try in addition to what you've already done - https://www.addictivetips.com/android/chat-features-status-stuck-setting-up/

The one I'd think to try is changing your default messaging app away from Google Messages and then back to it.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

td97
On our wavelength

S21+ 5G, unbranded model.

Changing default app has now completely broken the chat set up page.

(Samsung Messages app)

Screenshot_20220224-223459_Messages.jpg

(Google Messages app)

Screenshot_20220224-223548_Messages.jpg

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've got the same phone and chat features work OK in both apps for me.

Unfortunately, the RCS system isn't anything on Virgin Mobile's network, it's a completely a Google controlled service. So there isn't any way for Virgin Mobile to directly fix what's happening here as far as I know.

As it's the Google recommended troubleshooting, what happens if you now trying the Carrier Services and Messages clear data / force stop again?

Hi @td97, thanks for your post although I'm sorry Google Messages isn't working for you.

Are you having any other issues with texts/calls or data or receiving one time passwords? If not, I must reiterate what @BenMcr has said and say that it is a service controlled by a third party so unfortunately we're unable to offer any further support regarding this, sincere apologies!

Many thanks

Tom_W

td97
On our wavelength

Thanks for replies so far.

Clearing carrier services data does not change anything.

Sending standard SMS is fine.

I am a new customer recently transferred from Vodafone. Chat was enabled on my old SIM when I transferred to VM. Additionally, on my first day at VM with temporary number, the Chat feature activated in the Messages app with the temporary number. When my Vodafone number transferred to VM, outgoing messages via Chat used the VM temporary number and not my transferred number. Now, the end result is that Chat now does not work full stop.

If this is Google's problem and VM cannot resolve, is there a method to get in contact with Google to resolve this?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd maybe suggest the next thing is to try to complete de-register your existing number from the Google's chat service i.e. 'turn it off and on again'. You should be able re-register after it's been removed.

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat

Unfortunately as it needs to verify the number you're entering, it's not possible to remove the temp number from the service now.

td97
On our wavelength

Thanks, I was hoping for a link to deactivate on Google's side. Unfortunately no luck using that site either

Screenshot_20220228-084624_Chrome.jpg

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That is very odd - it's allowed the request to work for my mobile number on Virgin Mobile and seems to be allowing a reactivation too.

td97
On our wavelength

It's possible my number is tied to my old Vodafone account in the Google Chat system. I will contact Vodafone to see if they can deactivate