Menu
Highlighted
PhilR1960
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send SMS

Have been getting one or the other message when I send or reply to an SMS. 

- Cannot send message - Virgin error 96

- Message not sent. Phone number formatted incorrectly

My phone is a Motorola Moto G5 which I've had for almost a year. Same SIM card in it all the time and error message has been happening for last two days. I can receive phone calls, make outgoing calls and receive SMS messages. Virgin Media 4G data working fine. I am not roaming and phone says I'm connected to the Virgin Network. Basically nothing has changed.

Four wasted calls to their Contact Centre. One tried to remotely reset my account which didn't work. Second one got a bit further by getting me to open up a Testing Menu for the phone and carry out some update/refresh. (see screen shot) Third one basically was clueless. Number four asked for postcode and checked to say there is an unknown problem with the mast I'm connected to. Sounded like a fob off.

Any ideas what this could be and where I can speak to someone to get this resolved an or confirm there is a network issue? 

Thanks.

Thanks. Screenshot_20190114-112736.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send SMS

Is your SMSC Blank should be +447958879890

PhilR1960
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send SMS

It was blank, but cannot understand how SMSs were working three days ago, but not now. 

I tested the phone in an different area (some 6 miles from home) and outgoing SMSs worked. Later that day when I was back home they carried on working. 

So the issue the last person I spoke to may well have been correct. Shame none of the others bothered to investigate and the one was vague. 

0 Kudos