cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to respond to sms message while in Spain

graygander
Joining in

I am unable to make any calls or respond to any sms text messages I receive while I am in Spain.

I just keep getting a message send failure.

My account is set for roaming and I have tried setting the Roaming > Mode > Manual > International option, I have also tried switching to flight mode for 30 seconds and resetting but I still have to problem.

Have tried ringing the help line number and my wife’s mobile number but just keep getting a recorded message in french. Mobile data seems to work okay

Have been in Spain since 8th Jan my device is a iPhone Xs max

Thank you

14 REPLIES 14

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey graygander and thanks for posting on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the problems that you're having using your handset in Spain. 

As you’re using an iPhone, please can you do the following: Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. If you’re using a newer iOS, then you it will be under Mobile Data instead of phone. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick response. As mentioned in my original message I have tried setting the roaming mode as you suggested and have rebooted several times, but still no improvement.

Cheers,

graygander

Thanks for coming back to us graygander, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message. 

I have refreshed your network settings, hopefully this will trigger a refresh on the network and provide the service to your handset. Please can you reboot your handset and let me know if it has worked or not.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi graygander,

I had numerous problems when in Majorca last year however being unable to reply to texts was not one of them. I had problems making calls - see link -https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Can-t-hear-international-calls/td-p/5018195/page/5
Turning off Dial Assist in settings/phone fixed the problem of getting an announcement on outgoing calls. Virgin use a company in Belgium for roaming services despite using the O2 network. This half cocked setup seems to be responsible numerous roaming problems which Virgin are incapable or unwilling to resolve. The forthcoming transfer of all customers to O2 sims rather than Virgin’s version seems to be an admission that they are incapable of sorting the problems. 

Regards,

Dave

Hi graygander,

Sorry the link did not work, second attempt

Can't hear international calls - Page 5 - Virgin Media Community - 5018195

Regards,

Dave

Hi Steven_L

I have tried resetting my phone but it doesn’t appear to have fixed the problems I’m having

Cheers

graygander

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info, that would explain the recorded message in french whenever I try to make a call, hopefully your tip will fix that issue.

Im beginning to get the impression that Virgin Media are unable to deal with my messaging problems, I’ll keep on pestering the helpline though. Fortunately my wife’s EE phone works fine so am not totally disconnected.

Cheers

graygander

Hi Steven_L

Do you have any further info that will sort out the issue I have with sending sms messages?

Cheers

graygander