Menu
jd417
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unable to make or receive calls when roaming in USA

Hi,

I'm currently on holiday in Florida. I have two phones, iPhone 8 & Samsung Galaxy S9. I am unable to send texts or make & receive calls. I can receive texts on both phones. Roaming is turned on & call barring turned off when I check my account. I've turned off data roaming to prevent high data charges. I've tried calling 789 but a message tells me the cost is £2/min. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to make or receive calls when roaming in USA

Hi jd417

Welcome to our community. Apologies you are having issues with your roaming whilst in Florida, this is the last thing we want when you are on an amazing holiday.

Did you call us to get your roaming activated before you left for Florida? If you did have you tried a manual network search? You could also try a reboot of both handsets and see if this connects to a network where you are.

Just be aware of the roaming charging for the USA. You can check here for call cost and text whilst abroad.

Keep me posted after you have tried the above.

Many thanks Jodi.

0 Kudos
jd417
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for replying. I didn't contact Virgin before I left home as roaming was already turned on. We travel abroad regularly, though not to USA, & have never had a problem before. We were in New York last October & the phone's were OK. I've tried re-booting both phones & manual network changes. The network options are AT&T or T-Mobile. Both phones show that they are connected to one of the networks with good signal strength. I've also looked at getting a US SIM card as it would be cheaper than the Virgin roaming charges, especially for data. We inadvertently switched on the data roaming on the iPhone & the £30 cap was swallowed in less than 10 minutes so data works even though we can't make or receive phone calls. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me. Do you get any error messages when you try and make a call?

Kind regards,

Nat
0 Kudos
jd417
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Natalie,

I get no error messages. Just 3 beeps then back to dial screen. People trying to phone me get a disconnected type dial tone. I get a " failed to send" message when trying to send a text.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jd417, 

Thank you for confirming. 

I would love to have a look at thing's from our end for you! In order to do this I will need some details from you and have sent you a private message, please reply when you can 🙂 

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos