cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make or receive calls from Jersey, The Channel Islands

Philz4
Joining in

For the third time when visiting Jersey, The Channel Islands I have been unable to receive or make mobile phone calls. Also my phone showed no 4G connection to obtain any data.

For this privilege I find on returning to the UK I have been billed £17.48 for using the internet outside the EU. How I could be billed for something I could not use I don't know!!!

I Have tried to contact virgin Mobile today by telephone using various numbers and failed to do so. It seems its impossible to talk to someone about the problem. To say the least I am not pleased and I now think my only option is to change suppler. My wife uses Vodafone and has very good service from their local shop and her phone works in Jersey!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We are regular visitors to Jersey and having been stung by VM over the years have started buying local sim cards while in Jersey.  Works OK. But yet another reason why I am currently changing to Vodafone after being with VM from the start. Don’t get me started on recent sim card fiasco. Every other provider seems to include Channel Islands in their UK group but not VM. Another Customer lost.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

GaryB5
On our wavelength

A couple of years ago on holiday in Jersey my phone wouldn't work either. Went to a local phone shop in St Helier and apparently Jersey and the other Channel Islands have their own network. I was told I had to purchase either a new phone on their network or a different SIM for their network. I don't know if this was particular to Virgin as you say your wifes' Vodaphone mobile worked ok. 

GaryB5
On our wavelength

Hi Gary, Thanks for that advise. Yes I think its a Virgin problem. My old phone used to work in Jersey and after I was sent a new SIM card which I didn't ask for it would not. Since then I have received a new SIM card and obtained a new phone as they stated the problem may have been my old phone. Problems with the sim card is another story They sent me one from a bad batch and I ended up telling them of this after I found it out on a help forum

We are regular visitors to Jersey and having been stung by VM over the years have started buying local sim cards while in Jersey.  Works OK. But yet another reason why I am currently changing to Vodafone after being with VM from the start. Don’t get me started on recent sim card fiasco. Every other provider seems to include Channel Islands in their UK group but not VM. Another Customer lost.

Many Thanks for that Information very useful

I have to go to Sim tool kit ......Roaming......Select Mode....... Manual.....International  when in the Channel Islands and then change back to National when in the UK. 

Currently in Guernsey but unable to receive calls as it says "Line Busy" . Not had this before and yes having a slow and protracted test trail and landline calls to un-helpful call centers. But that is a different story. 

Charrison2
Joining in

Arrived in Jersey today and having the same problems connecting to the Virgin network. I’ve looked through the posts and tried all suggestions.

Can’t get through to Virgin customer support either!!

I’m on an android phone And downloaded the virgin mobile sim card app but it asks me to connect to 3G or 4G to verify the SIM card which I can’!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

GaryB5
On our wavelength

Suggest going into one of the phone shops in Jersey, as their network is separate to the UK, and is classed as the EU. Virgin network not supported in Jersey, take a look at the link I posted in this thread.

After 2 previous visits not managing to get any network connection, and much time wasted prior to this visit following all available info on Virgin’s website for roaming in Jersey only to find it still didn’t work on arrival…..I’ve finally cracked it!

I’ll assume you’ve already followed the info Virgin DOES provide about switching on roaming within your account, checking your APN settings etc etc.

Another user has mentioned it, but step by step, for an iPhone, after I arrived I then needed to go to:

Settings > Mobile Data > SIM applications > Roaming > Select Mode > Manual > International 

I then got a connection and all the welcome texts explaining the roaming tariffs etc. Hoorah!

Over the previous visits, research prep for this visit and time going through every setting today in the desperate hope something would work, I’ve spent HOURS trying to sort this issue. So thought I’d join this community and share in the hope it helps someone else preserve a little bit of sanity! 🤪