cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make calls abroad.

Nathaneo
Joining in

Good day everyone.

So I am currently in Oman and I am trying to access my paypal. The passcodes are not getting through to my phone number and the call feature also doesn't work.

Paypal then sent me a number to call and it doesnt ring it just cuts off after three seconds or less. I have checked the settings and I am setup to use my sim abroad. 

Any help is appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ah that's a shame! 

You never know, they may be having issues with sending these texts abroad, when you get back to the UK you may get a flood of them lol.

I do hope this doesn't impact anything huge whilst you're in Oman. 

Good luck and let us know if you have any more issues with your mobile.

Thanks,

Megan_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Nathaneo,

Thanks for using the forums to get this looked into with your mobile service whilst abroad. 

I am sorry you are not receiving texts or phone calls with passcodes to access your PayPal account. 

The first thing I would do is see if you have WIFI calling enabled on your handset - this can sometimes interfere with receiving verification texts. It can still take some time for the texts to come through after switching this off. 

Can I ask if this issue is only occurring with PayPal? 

Do you have a friend or family's phone to swap the SIM card in to see if the text comes through? If it does, it may mean your SIM is faulty and you'll need to get a replacement when you're back in the UK. 

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Megan_L

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Even if you get to receive shortcodes ringing PayPal will prove expensive. 

Make sure you don't have a low spending cap preventing the call

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-roaming-hub/oman

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So it would seem that i dont have wifi calling on.

Paypal is the only one I dont recieve texts from. Though i cant make any calls at all.

Hi Nathaneo, 

Thanks for coming back to me, Enlli has raised a good observation with this. 

Do you know if you have a spend cap enabled on your mobile account? If it is set to £0 then it means your phone will not allow any chargeable calls or texts to come through or out. 

Which may be why you're unable to call whilst in another country.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Thanks for the reply.

So i have given myself a spending cap of £5 just to see if i can call. But it still does not call. Paypal have also claimed that they are sending passcodes (which i have still not received any) but all other companies managed to send their passcodes and i have recieved them. 

Completely stumped at the moment. 

Hi Nathaneo, 

Thanks for coming back to me and for increasing your spend cap, however I believe £5 may not be enough room still as the call charges per minute in Oman are £5, so this may be why it's still not allowing you to connect. I have a link here that gives you more info about charges whilst in Oman - Roaming Costs In Oman.

As for the texts, if other companies are able to send their texts to your phone, I would say the issue may be with PayPal or your spending cap. 

Please do not increase your spending cap if you do not think you can afford the extra charges. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hello.

So I have increased my cap to £20. And i am still unable to ring to paypal (as a test to see if the cap increase worked) I feel paypal have said its my providers end and virgin have said its paypals end. Im gonna keep getting bounced between who is the issue. Though i do agree in my opinion its paypals end. 

Hi Nathaneo,

Thanks for coming back to me, I am sorry about that 😞 

I've checked over your mobile services and can't see anything that would be stopping you from receiving calls or texts whilst abroad.

The only other idea I have would be to maybe use another mobile to get the authorisation code. Is it one of those texts with a 6 digit code in order to authenticate your account?

If so, that may work if you've got a friend with you that doesn't mind you using their handset for a few minutes. 

Let me know if you get it working!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hello.

Yes it is something like that. To verify if i am the true owner of the account. I have placed my simcard into my tablet which support sims. And it still does not work. 

It would seem like paypal dont want me to access my account ha. Thanks for helping though i have tried all options it would seem.