Menu
Highlighted
em1231
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unable to contact Virgin in South Korea to change to PAYG

Hi,

A few weeks ago I contacted Virgin Mobile to try and change my monthly package to PAYG (currently on £12.68 a month and it is a 30 day rolling contract.) I knew I was going to be out of the UK for 1-2 years on a round the world trip, so I wanted to keep my number but not pay a set amount every month. I will only be using WIFI on my trip.

I was advised that I could not change to PAYG on any day other than the day my package refreshes. I was told I could call 789 for free from South Korea on the day that my package refreshes.

That day is today! I called 789 and a prerecorded message said that I the number I had dialled was not on the directory and then hung up. I have tried to access the 'chat' service on virgin mobile's website to speak with someone about changing to PAYG, but I cannot find any route to the chat service. (Is it something that you can only access at certain times of the day?)

As a last resort I tried to change my PAY monthly package to a cheaper one so at least I was not spending £12.68 a month for nothing (cheapest one seems to be £7, a saving of £5.68 for me.) I tried to do this through my virgin mobile account online but was told I need a new SIM card in order to do this. This will not work as I am travelling and will not be able to receive one at a permanent address.

So I am stuck. I cannot contact Virgin on chat or 789 to change to PAYG. I cannot change to a cheaper package online as I cannot receive a new SIM.

Please can someone help me? I am loathed to pay £126.80 a year for something that I am not going to use. Especially as I was advised by a Virgin Mobile operator that I would be able to sort this out from South Korea, and, more specifically, that I actually wasn't able to sort it out in advance from the UK.

Please help me! I do not know what to do!

Thank you in advance,

Emily

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to contact Virgin in South Korea to change to PAYG

Further bad news is Virgin have discontinued traditional PAYG and the only tariffs available are the so called Jam Packs.

It also sounds you are on the Old Red SIM card, that being the reason they want to change it. However, you should be able to change tariff without putting in the new card and activating it.

Hopefully one of the team on here will be able to take your details and sort something out.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

em1231
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enlli,

Thank you so much for your reply! Do you think I am able to get a Jam Pack? I read that you have to pay £2 to text, call or use data. If I didn't use any of these 3 (and just used wifi) would I then be charged nothing?

Hopefully one of the team get back to me swiftly as I will be charged another £12.68 if they don't! And that's from following their advice! 😞

Emily

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Been thinking this through

Jam Packs only last 30 days. They are not traditional PAYG.

You are on a 30 day rolling contract, but all new contracts are 12 month and I am not sure if you can change tariff easily.

I do think you were ill advised by customer services.

I've flagged this for attention

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi em1231,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry you have been unable to contact us as you are in south  Korea, I would be more than happy to have a look into your account and see if it is possible to put you on a pay as you go tariff.

I will invite you into a private chat, I will send the invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
em1231
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enlli,

Thank you again for your helpful response.

That is upsetting information to hear, I feel like I have been taken advantage of as I was not informed any of this when I tried to stop my tariff a few weeks ago. 😞

Really hoping to get this sorted with Virgin Mobile asap, I have been their customer for 15 years! 

Emily

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Look out for the purple envelope at the top of the page, for the private message from the Team.

Hope you enjoy your travels

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos