Menu
benwiddowson82
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ultimate oomph sim question

Hi guys

First time poster so sorry if this has been asked to death but i cant seem to find an answer. Just upgraded my VIP bundle to the new Ultimate oomph package that obviously comes with the 4g simcard. How restrictive are Virgin on the use of this sim, i have an unlocked Tp-link 4g router that i currently use with 3 when we are camping. Do virgin allow this or do they actively block phone sims in routers etc?

Thanks in advance

Ben

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ultimate oomph sim question

Hey first time poster how are you?

As the oomph package is fairly new it aint been asked to death so chill.....

Also we only get cross when people are awkward, not when they ask a genuine question.

Yes you can tether on an Oomph SIM (you have no idea how much it pains me to write that. Not the tethering bit. The Oomph bit)

AFAIK theres no way to tell if a mobile SIM is in a hotspot device or a phone (even if they cared) - and worst case scenario, switch the SIM back to your phone.

benwiddowson82
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Kippies, thanks for the speedy reply. Yeh agreed about the name change. I could just about handle VIP etc but the new ones are just bizarre but isn't that how virgin like to market themselves at times. I seem to remember (it was years ago) three used to find some way of blocking their "phone" Sims being used in dongle's and routers etc. When it arrives I'll just try hammering it for a few days and see how we get on.

Thanks again

Ben

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The old 3G plans used to restrict tethering and also had a fair usage policy which would reduce speeds after 3.5GB of usage.

However those restrictions don't apply anymore.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@benwiddowson82 wrote:

Kippies, thanks for the speedy reply. Yeh agreed about the name change. I could just about handle VIP etc but the new ones are just bizarre but isn't that how virgin like to market themselves at times.

Thanks again

Ben

I didn't think they could get stupider than Mr Bolt getting chucked off a treadmill, but they managed it. I'm just waiting for the Rug-Rats reality show  where Angelica starts an ad agency and wins the VM account...

angelica.jpg

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi ben,

I recently went to cornwall where 3 signal was 2G but EE was 4G and we had a nice and constant 80mbps from my Unlimited Sim (can't bring myself to say the stupid word, and I told VM it was stupid too)

Did this in a unlocked MIFI unit and it worked like a dream - so go for it Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
benwiddowson82
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies everyone

0 Kudos
gblondon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I was using a tplink 4g router in August after receiving my sim and they just suspended it without contacting me last week - the person selling it didn’t cover off in the discussion that this is not allowed - it was great for the family for sharing on holiday in Sussex but trying to get it reactivated has been a 5 day pain. I am getting a call tomorrow from the team to hopefully sort it out. 

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@gblondon wrote:

I was using a tplink 4g router in August after receiving my sim and they just suspended it without contacting me last week - the person selling it didn’t cover off in the discussion that this is not allowed - it was great for the family for sharing on holiday in Sussex but trying to get it reactivated has been a 5 day pain. I am getting a call tomorrow from the team to hopefully sort it out. 

First post I've read about anyone being suspended because of using a router/tethering, hopefully that was not the real reason?.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:
The old 3G plans used to restrict tethering and also had a fair usage policy which would reduce speeds after 3.5GB of usage.

However those restrictions don't apply anymore.

I tried one of them once - i was restricted after 1.2GB and I ended up taking it back 3 days later and cancelling - thank god that all went away 

0 Kudos