Menu
brownpack
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Transfer Account

Hi. I'd like to transfer a phone number and corresponding account to my daughter. I currently am on a SIM only plan with a phone owned by me/her. I've read some previous articles on this and it seems that the Virgin Mobile policy is to move the account to PAYG first before transferring it to my daughter and then my daughter going through a credit check before taking out her own plan.

That seems very long winded and thought I'd check whether you've updated policies recently.

To help you consider that you should be aware that other networks make it much easier and only the credit check is needed:

Vodafone: https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/Managing-my-account/Transfer-of-ownership/403...

O2: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/transfer-of-ownership

EE: https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/managing-and-using-my-account/leaving-ee/how-do-i-transfer-my-number-...

So how easy can you make this?

Thanks

Alan

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Transfer Account

Hi Brownpack, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm afraid that our policy is still the same regarding transfer of responsibility when it comes to mobile accounts. 

As you're the current account holder and the Direct Debit is under your name so the credit check will be done on you, as it was accepted this means we know the payments will be made. I'm afraid we can't just change the name on the account. 

Therefore if you need to change the account into somebody else's name then we'd have to change the number to PAYG to do a credit check on the new account holder, as it could be that they don't pass the credit check and therefore can't have a pay monthly account with us. 

If you'd like to go ahead with this then please give us a call on 789/0345 6000 789 and we'll be able to discuss it in more detail. 

Let us know if you have any further questions Smiley Happy 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
brownpack
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So why not do the credit check first and then if successful do the transfer? If it wasn’t successful then the other steps wouldn’t be needed saving time and effort for all. It would save having to go to PAYG at all.

I repeat: other networks have a more streamlined process that still involves a credit check. 

You really should listen to the moans about your process in this forum and change your process. 

Alan

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I can appreciate other networks do things differently and I can only apologise we have to do this. 

However all being well the new account holder would only be on PAYG for a maximum of 24 hours. 

We can't do the credit check first as we'd have to change the account details including date of birth and address to the new accounts holders and as it's already on a pay monthly deal there wouldn't be a change made to credit check it, hence why it needs to go to PAYG. The other option would be to upgrade. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
brownpack
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Can you explain this other option?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi brownpack,

What Emma means is that the other option is to keep the account in the original holder's name and just upgrade as needed. To transfer a mobile number into someone else's name you would need to follow the transfer process as outlined previously.

There is no other way to change a mobile number into someone else's name.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
brownpack
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for clarifying. I guess it's too much to ask that you change your process in line with other networks. There is no reason you can't do a credit check on someone outside of this process - that's what you would do with a new customer after all: credit check them with no phone number or account. The only difference is that the phone number needs to transfer at some point. 

So you could:

- Do a credit check (as though they were new)

- Agree to take them on (or not)

- Transfer the phone number from me to them

But you won't do the because someone has already defined the process and no one is prepared to change or update it.

I'm not happy about this but I guess you already knew that.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry that you're unhappy with the transfer of ownership process, we will make sure to pass on your feedback.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
brownpack
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

By the way just so you know the history of this: I originally did contact customer services and was told I should upgrade the phone first and then transfer it into my daughter's name. So I did that. then when I tried to transfer I was told I couldn't transfer a live contract. So I had to send the new phone back and start again. It was a right mess all because I had been told to upgrade first - someone was a bit too keen on their commission and not on giving out the right information. Hence I'm back at the start trying to figure out how to do this easily.

I'm sure being on PAYG for just one day won't be too much of a pain - I assume you'll give me some credit so that it doesn't cost a fortune?

Of course transferring to another network might be easier - they have better processes and are more customer focused.

And then I'll move my other mobile to the other network. And them move my landline, TV and Broadband too.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry to hear of your circumstances however we wouldn't be able to overlook company process.

If the process goes as expected the number would only be PAYG for the time it takes to change into the other person's name and for the new contract order to be processed, the majority of this would take place with you on the phone.

As the number would be PAYG it wouldn't be able to be used for outbound calls or texts without credit. If you decide to purchase any credit during this time the remaining balance would be counted against your first bill, we wouldn't provide any credit during the transfer process.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos