cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trade up Do Not Use

Ernesto2020
Tuning in

Recently been offered a new phone via the virgin media sales team, decided the use trade up with hesitation after viewing reviews, however they were willing to offer me more money than I could get at a local shop. After having to pay for recorded delivery  because quote was originally higher than the 100 pound covered by virgin. I was then offered a mere 19 pound due to an non existent display issue a bit different to the 193 quote over the phone from a virgin media sales rep, however the sales team cannot help you and you have to contact brightstar so I do question why the sales team can even offer quotes but are then unable to action anything. I have pictures of the phone to prove the condition. BE WARNED of this horrible service,i am now awaiting the return of the old phone and I will be sending the new phone back, and I will more than likely be searching for a new tv/phone/broadband provider as I have pretty much lost faith in the company.

10 REPLIES 10

BeardedBlunder
Dialled in

Well, being fair, the postal service parcel smashers could conceivably have caused a display issue to have developed during shipping, phones tend to be somewhat fragile. "recorded delivery"only really records that it's been delivered, it doesn't guarantee some member of the post office staff didn't drop it, or launch a bag full of mail into the back of some van like a shot-putter.

I know that's not your fault if that's what happened, but neither is it Virgin's in such a case.

I hope you reach a satisfactory resolution with them, and that the returned phone works rather than actually having an issue.  I've no special love for VM myself, but it's entirely possible that your issue isn't their fault.

I wrapped and rewrapped the phone spent £7.50 special delivery, foolishly agreed over the phone to get new phone, if I was to resend the new phone I could then be charged due to opening the phone I don’t trust the company now so I am sure they would find a fault with it despite only being used for 2 days and charge me a ridiculous amount. Basically they have me by the balls only option pay for the new headset and find new provider for data. Pay the remaining bill on old phone should have just traded in at a local shop and avoided the hassle. So basically just ended up out of pocket many hours wasted to a shocking service. If my phone is returned with damage it will certainly be taken further. Broadband and tv to cancel tomorrow. 

All I'm saying is that it *might* be the fault of a third party rather than VM themselves, whilst decent packaging by yourself makes that seem less likely, it's not completely implausible.

Why not see what happens by way of investigation & resolution before assuming only one party could be at fault when your old phone has passed through the hands of another as well?

You know the phone was in good condition when you sent it, Virgin seem to have stated it wasn't when it was delivered to them. Just perhaps the condition of the device changed during the period it was in transit?

There is such a thing as jumping to conclusions before all the facts are known.  I've worked in parcel shipping in the past, there's no way I'm ruling out damage in transit, I've seen steel & timber shipping cases damaged, along with the contents, never mind simple cardboard & bubble wrap.

Be certain who's to blame before assigning blame.

I understand what you are saying, I’ve witnessed bad delivery services hence why I take extreme care when sending parcels out I think in this case 2 boxes and 2 air mail wallets. Virgin themselves only send you a flimsy postal wallet which is covered only to the value of 100 pounds. The virgin media sales rep will offer you a good trade price just to convince you to sign up on a new deal I was told on the phone only cracked screens,broken buttons, or generally battered phones would see a major change in the quote. After reading some of other articles/forums it seems quite common the virgin media partner group to send low ball figures. The main annoyance is how 1 group can offer you a good deal out of thin air and are not be able to offer any support and basically wash there hands of the problem. I will comment further once I have received the old phone back and checked for damage. If no damage is found and I am still able to trade phone in I rest my case. If there is an under lying issue then I will remove the thread and apologise.

I can't comment on "low ball" figures, basically I keep & run everything till either it dies or becomes worthless, & keep the latter as a spare phone... Hence Sony Erricsson Z600 being pressed back into service recently.  I wouldn't be dealing with rade-ins myself.  Mother tried, only since the handset contract was expired (no profiteering to be done on premature upgrades) VM had no interest WHATSOEVER in offering any sort of upgrade, basically "we've bled you dry already.. start over, no reward for loyalty"

You'd think someone on a SIM only deal like myself for ages might be rewarded by some *slight* discount on a handset too, but VM have zero interest in existing customers, other than ones they can talk into premature upgrades to boost the bill.  I'm morally certain I could get a way better deal elsewhere, just can't be bothered with the hassle.

I got 133 pound cash from another company, so it’s I rest my case. (Virgins partner company was an offer of 19 pound)

Overall experience has been horrific. Virgin media no help what so ever just happy to take money, bright star scamming customers with below low ball offers plus you get charged for phoning them.

From my personal experience avoid trade up service like the plague and don’t agree to new phone contracts over the phone.

i wish i had seen your message earlier as we've had the same issue.  Terrible service all round. Initial offer of £229,  this morning i was offered £16 due to display issue.  Absolute scammers. This has taken them over 2 weeks despite me messaging them every day.  

Taylus
On our wavelength

Exactly same happened to me today . Now I am getting my old phone back , the new phone and 3 year contract  going back and when my old contract runs out they have lost me as a customer 

Hi @Teabelly thanks for posting.

I am really sorry to hear you feel the way you do.  Any initial offer is based on the information received before our partners receive the handset in question.

Regards

Lee_R