cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling Mobile Data

Sonny333
On our wavelength

Currently I've been mainly using my "Unlimited" Data sim that is provided on top of my VM Package.

My Broadband has been down for almost two months, the support team are completely useless. We keep getting told an "engineer" will come and fix our problem yet the date for said engineer keeps getting pushed back over and over. They always claim it'll be fixed on X but when its X day magically the "fixing" date has been pushed to Y and this song and dance has carried on for over 1 and a 1/2 months. 

Since this is happening to me I've resorted to using my Mobile Data (Which Virgin claims is unlimited with no throttling at all). Yet I have reason to suspect that they are directly throttling my plan for having a lot of usage. I currently have two of the same mobile device models (S10). One of my phones is running Voxi and the other is running Virgin Mobile, both of these networks are subsidiaries of Vodafone yet on my Voxi Device I can achieve upwards of 100 MBPS and very reasonable ping whereas on my Virgin Mobile phone I barely reach 10mbps and abysmal ping. 

I have tried swapping the sims over to see if one phone was just broken. But no. I've concluded its definitely Virgin Media throttling my speeds as before I started using my Data extensively (which is 100% Virgins Fault) I was getting very good speeds and reasonable ping. 

Any insight would be great.

3 REPLIES 3

ashpole
Superfast
Are you sure your VM SIM is using Vodafone’s network and not EE?

Sonny333
On our wavelength

We were switched over to Vodafone a while back 🙂 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Sonny333

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing on going issues with your connection, I understand how frustrating this must be. I was unable to access your account from the details provided, so I shall send you a private message now to look into your broadband issue further.

Regarding your Unlimited Data SIM, we do not throttle mobile data. If there is congestion on Vodafones network at the time you are using it, then your SIM will operate slower.

Kind regards,

Serena