Menu
vargin
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tfl underground wifi no longer connecting

I've been with virgin mobile for about two years now and normally the wifi hotspot on the London underground has just worked.  It has stopped working in the last few weeks.  Either it will not connect to the wifi at some stations or it will connect to "Virgin Media Wifi" but then there is no internet.  If I browse to a webpage, I am shown the login/buy pass page.  I don't think I need to do this as the service should recognise my phone/sim.

The last time I had problems (start of the year), I would fire up the Virgin mobile app, it would check my sim and then there was an option to configure wifi hot spot settings on my android phone (7 Nougat).  Either this feature has been removed in the mobile app or it has moved elsewhere.  The Virgin connect app doesn't have this option that I can see.

Can someone please state definitively how Tfl underground wifi is meant to be configured?  Do I need a login so I use the welcome page? Should it recognise my phone, do I need to use an app to configure.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
vargin
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tfl underground wifi no longer connecting

bump. anyone?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi vargin, thanks for your post - sorry for the delayed response.

I'm also sorry that you've been having some trouble connecting to the Underground WiFi service. 

I understand the method to connect has changed since the Connect app was launched, if you were connecting before these changes then the settings on your device may be conflicting with the app & causing it to fail. 

There is an option to go on a portal to sign up to the London Wi-Fi Underground with no app involved. That's the actual London underground Wi-Fi and not the Connect App or Virgin Media Wi-Fi - these are often confused.

Connect app hotspots should connect automatically if the app is set up correctly with no need for any credentials. Can you please try 'Forgetting' any saved networks in your device's settings then try to connect through the Connect app itself?

Failing that we may need to raise this with the relevant team, so please keep us posted if you can.

Tom 

0 Kudos
vargin
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding Tom.

Yes it is confusing, with all the possible options. To confuse matters more for me, I noticed today it was definitely working at one or two stops but majority does not work (including stations that did work previously). I have tried numerous times deleting saved Virgin Media Wifi and similar hotspots. Doesn't seem to correct the issue.

You suggested that the Media Connect App is the right way to connect. Could you expand on this? The first time I had an issue I thought as much as to use the app, but of-course as I am underground I have no internet connection and the app doesn't get past "No internet connection" page. I have just now opened the app, it has verified me using my sim details and when I go to HotSpots, it shows wifi access points next to my home. Does this mean it is configured? I will try opening the app when I am next underground and see if it connects to the underground.

I will report back.

Thanks

0 Kudos
vargin
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So I tried it today, and as expected it didn't work.

I was underground, phone in airplane mode. I launch the Connect app and it complains that there is no internet connection and so there is nothing to do.

When I scan for available wifi SSID from my phone (nothing to do with the app at this point), I can see two SSID. "Virgin Media Wifi" and "Virgin Media". The first is the one I have used previously that has the landing page, and log in page/purchase pass options exist. You suggested this isn't the right AP.

If I try to connect to "Virgin Media", I get a request for credentials to connect to the AP. So I tried my virgin media email address (linked to my mobile account), and my online mobile account password. It appears to accept the credentials but it does not connect to the AP. I didn't try my mobile number but will do so next time.

If that doesn't work, I'd appreciate some technical assistance.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vargin,

Yes please let us know how you get on when you try your mobile number.

Other things you can try is to - 

Uninstall and re-install the Connect App and try again.

Try a different mobile phone and see whether using your Virgin Media credentials, whether it connects to the AP at your stop.

Please also take a look at our London FAQ page here . 

Thanks

Lisa

0 Kudos
vargin
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

So using mobile phone number did not work. I re-installed app and that did not work.

However, today I thought I would give my virgin media (broadband) account credentials and that did work. So clearly the old connect app used those credentials and perhaps the new one only uses my virgin mobile account details which does NOT work.

So for anyone else that has this issue, don't bother with the app and trying different things, it will be credentials.

1. Just connect from your phone's wifi to "Virgin Media Wifi"
2. Use the email address from you online account along with the password on the login page

So, now what I need someone from Virgin team to check, is why my mobile account does not work with underground wifi? I could in the future not be a virgin media broadband customer so still want to make sure my mobile account has access.

Can someone check?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vargin,

I'm glad to hear it's let you in with your Virgin Media log in details.

I'll need to take some further details from you to understand why the other details aren't working, so I'll pop you a private message, 

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos