cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts from VirginMedia

Lawrie_D
Joining in

Once every month on my SIM-only plan billing date I get two text messages from VM.  One tells me they refreshed my allowances, the other that they carried over my unused allowances.  

I don't want to receive those texts - they're pointless and annoying - but there's seemingly no way to unsubscribe or block them.  I called customer service and was categorically told "they're system generated and can't be stopped".  

Anyone know a way to stop them?  

3 REPLIES 3

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no way to block them without potentially blocking other important messages from Virgin Mobile about your plan.

If you're not worried about that and depending on your device you could find a messaging app that allows you to filter incoming messages so they're silent notifications or blocked.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

So you're saying these are treated as "important messages"? I don't see it like that, and when they wake me up after working all night it's more than an inconvenience. Any other SMS sender can be blocked, or would must accept a reply STOP. What makes VM special?
To be honest, if they were emails I would be able to easily opt out by law.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What I meant was that if you block the sender completely you may not get notifications about changes to your contract e.g. whether or not an RPI price change will happen and how much it is for, or other changes that Virgin Mobile send notification about from time to time.

But as I said, depending on your device you have different options to reduce to stop notifications for messages.

For example my Samsung S21 has a 'Do Not Disturb' mode that will only alert me from my specified contacts over a time period I can choose (generally overnight), or I can separately choose that a sender has a silent notification so won't sound or vibrate when a message is received. Apple devices have something similar.

In regards to opt out, they are service messages about your contract not marketing, so the messages wouldn't be affected where you invoked any marketing opt outs under your GDPR rights.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own