cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message about moving me to a 4G plan - with link that goes to non-existent page

palmyra08
Up to speed

For a communications company, the level of shocking incompetence in communicating anything doesn't seize to amaze me.

I received a Virgin text message stating that from November, I am moved to a 4G plan at no extra cost. I have not requested anything, so it might be related to the network migration. I am only guessing, as they never ever communicate anything pertinent and I am the last person on the planet to find out about sudden and radical changes to services, usually after something is no longer supported or about to be killed off (as it was the case with SIM updates).

However, the link in the text message points to a VM website that doesn't exist and it states "Oh, crikey! We can't find that page". 

Will try spending some hours on 789 (last time I rang them about a cell tower failure that was confirmed on EE site, they didn't know the difference between a network failure and phone failure, and kept asking me whether they should try replacing my phone... oh Lord, just shocking illiteracy).

Seriously... get your act together, so-called communications company. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect moving from 3G to 4G is in preparation for the move away from EE to Vodafone. 

3G is being phased out anyway. Bandwidth on many masts has been reduced, limiting capacity. The freed up frequency will be used to bolster both 4G and 5G. (Already happened round me) This will continue and the eventual close down will happen no later than 2023

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect moving from 3G to 4G is in preparation for the move away from EE to Vodafone. 

3G is being phased out anyway. Bandwidth on many masts has been reduced, limiting capacity. The freed up frequency will be used to bolster both 4G and 5G. (Already happened round me) This will continue and the eventual close down will happen no later than 2023

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Indeed, suspecting that - but only suspecting, as there was of course no communication from them with any usable information. Except this text message with a link that doesn't work 🙂

Ah well... let's see the carnage in November, when I fully expect the migration of my account to be a heck of a nightmare.