cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Alerts

Barneygoogle
Dialled in

Hi,

I have a PAYG Virgin phone (had this number for about twenty years). Very happy with it. Every week I receive a message from Virgin Media, telling me that I can get free texts and 30 mins of calls all weekend, if I top up with £10. I don't really mind these messages, as I also get alerts if my balance goes low and I find these balance alerts very handy; so I've never tried to stop the alerts (as I would imagine it's all or nothing). However, tonight at 11 pm my phone went off, waking my wife and worrying her; as I never normally get a call that late at night. It was just the "free texts" offer. I don't want this to happen again. How can I stop these alerts????

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

Barneygoogle
Dialled in
Hi Again,
I've started getting these messages more frequently. I now wish to stop them permanently. I tried to log in to my account, but I don't seem to have a mobile phone account. It is only PAYG. But there must be some way of stopping these texts, surely? There is no sender address with the texts.
Thank you.

Hi,

I found this answer to "How to stop text spam from Virgin":
"You can text the word NO to 80159 to stop these marketing texts. It will take roughly 48 hours to register this on the system.
Many thanks.
Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team".
I have now texted "NO" to 80159. Hopefully this will work. I shall post on here in a week's time and let everyone know if this fix works.

Thank you.

Hi,

As a follow up to the above, the text of "NO", to 80159 worked. Peace reigns. I have had no further messages from Virgin Media.

Regards.

. . . and, even better, I still get the alert, when my balance is low. So it all worked out great; in the end.

Texting "No", to 80159 only works (for me) for 10 months. Then the texts start coming again. I have texted again, today - and they replied immediately; to say it will take up to ten days to stop them. I shall report back on here with the outcome.

As a follow-up to the above. Peace reigns. It works.

Doesn't work. Virgin ignores the requests. I have replied to loads and not one has worked. Also, Virgin uses different numbers for different text alerts so saying No to one even if it worked won't stop another. Virgin will simply claim you won't get marketing texts from that number.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Surely these texts will stop anyway now that most of the old PAYG plans are retired and people are placed on the Daily Plan or Jam Packs?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The texts stopped and now I have moved to O2, so I no longer get the texts and I get much cheaper data.