cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible call coverage indoors

SuperTurrican
Joining in

I had a VM SIM for many years previously with no issues making and receiving calls indoors. It was owned by my old boss. When he closed the doors, I had hoped that migrating the number over to my account on VM would be simple and safe. I think that was naivete on my part - migration was obviously not easy, since I had to migrate the number to a PAYG O2 SIM and then port it back across to my own VM account.

However, once it was back on VM I expected the same good signal that I had enjoyed previously. That has not been the case. Signal at home (and indeed in most indoor locations) has been very poor. I miss inbound calls all the time, and audio breaks up when they do connect. Luckily I have a hosted VOIP service for my business calls (not with Virgin), but I have been reduced to using that on my smartphone over WIFI just to be able to make outbound calls.

I have multiple SIMs with VM on my personal account, 2 of which appear to have the same issues making and taking calls indoors (any indoor location, it's not restricted to a geographical location).

I am currently thinking that just paying off any remaining contracts and changing network would be the easiest solution, as it's not proven worth the time/effort to deal with VM telephone support thus far. They send me new SIMs, get me installing SIMs in different phones for testing, and then close the tickets without fixing the problem.

Unless I go outside, I can't even call them for long enough from their own SIMs to report the issues. That's not a good sign.

Ironically, in my day job I advise on the provisioning strategy of a decent-sized communications provider/reseller, supplying every conceivable type of fixed/mobile data/telephony service to tens of thousands of businesses across the UK. I could get unlimited call/data SIMs for free from work if I desired, and have done in the past for testing purposes - but I prefer to keep my personal communication separate from work stuff.

I do try and remain professional, but my unsatisfactory personal experience thus far with VM is bound to have tainted my view of VMB - who have, to date, been one of the options I have considered for new projects (but things can change).

11 REPLIES 11

When I first originally raised it my call was cut off 30 seconds into the conversation due to the exact issue I was reporting. I did provide example calls. If they need more examples I can just make a few calls and all of them will be example calls illustrating the problem, since I can't make it through a call inside without losing audio and/or the call dropping.

When did you last speak to the team SuperTurrican? Are you able to call from a landline on 0345 600 0789 to help prevent the same issue? They will ask for 5 examples with dates and times so to save some time it would be handy for you to have these prior to the call.

Rob