cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible call coverage indoors

SuperTurrican
Joining in

I had a VM SIM for many years previously with no issues making and receiving calls indoors. It was owned by my old boss. When he closed the doors, I had hoped that migrating the number over to my account on VM would be simple and safe. I think that was naivete on my part - migration was obviously not easy, since I had to migrate the number to a PAYG O2 SIM and then port it back across to my own VM account.

However, once it was back on VM I expected the same good signal that I had enjoyed previously. That has not been the case. Signal at home (and indeed in most indoor locations) has been very poor. I miss inbound calls all the time, and audio breaks up when they do connect. Luckily I have a hosted VOIP service for my business calls (not with Virgin), but I have been reduced to using that on my smartphone over WIFI just to be able to make outbound calls.

I have multiple SIMs with VM on my personal account, 2 of which appear to have the same issues making and taking calls indoors (any indoor location, it's not restricted to a geographical location).

I am currently thinking that just paying off any remaining contracts and changing network would be the easiest solution, as it's not proven worth the time/effort to deal with VM telephone support thus far. They send me new SIMs, get me installing SIMs in different phones for testing, and then close the tickets without fixing the problem.

Unless I go outside, I can't even call them for long enough from their own SIMs to report the issues. That's not a good sign.

Ironically, in my day job I advise on the provisioning strategy of a decent-sized communications provider/reseller, supplying every conceivable type of fixed/mobile data/telephony service to tens of thousands of businesses across the UK. I could get unlimited call/data SIMs for free from work if I desired, and have done in the past for testing purposes - but I prefer to keep my personal communication separate from work stuff.

I do try and remain professional, but my unsatisfactory personal experience thus far with VM is bound to have tainted my view of VMB - who have, to date, been one of the options I have considered for new projects (but things can change).

11 REPLIES 11

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Undoubtedly your old Virgin SIM would have run on the EE network (Virgin have no network of their own). 

Virgin are now in the process of moving from EE to Vodafone and the new SIM will be on that network; that could well explain the difference

You can check the signal direct with Vodafone here. 

Is WiFi Calling available on your phone as that will solve the problem of indoor coverage 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SuperTurrican thanks for posting. 

I am really sorry to hear you're having issues making and receiving calls.  As @enlli has suggested, has this been since the SIM migration?  It does sound as though it may be.  Especially if my colleagues have confirmed there are no 'mast' issues in the areas you're using your service.

Regards

Lee_R

This is correct - when I was on my old VM sim it was fine. The other SIM also. As soon as I moved to the new one (in both cases) the signal strength seemed to fall off a cliff, and I can't even take a call in the house without having to rush outside to avoid the call being dropped after I accept it. I've even had replacement SIMs sent through after I reported this initially, and they made zero difference.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With the new SIM and an iPhone you should have WiFi Calling available to you to enable call facilities when there is little or no signal.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

As enlli has suggested trying Wi-Fi calling may be an option for you. Depending on the handset you have you can find how to activate this feature via their website. If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not really a solution for my problem. It's at best a workaround, and relies on having 1) a phone that supports it, and 2) wifi access in every building I may enter.

The solution would be for the network to improve in your area, as this is managed and maintained by Vodafone we're limited as to what we can do in relation to this. Wi-Fi calling was suggested as work around for when you're at home.

Rob

So I guess the real solution is to change providers. So be it. I presume that means I won't be liable for any migration or early termination costs, given that the mobile service I paid for does not allow me to make mobile calls? I did report this issue initially quite early on (I'm sure VM's support logs will corroborate that), and nothing's improved since then.

When you originally raised it SuperTurrican did they ask you to provide any information in regards to this? Any examples of failed calls with dates times and numbers?

Rob