cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Data speeds since move to over to vodafone

dmorrow
On our wavelength

For over 3 weeks while at work my data speed has been terrible. 

I have spoken to helpline who told me in coincides with me moving from EE to Vodafone networks.

I have between 0.5 to 2 mb download when its working but it does drop out a lot. 

The thing is my Signal is either 4 bars or Full and it is only at my work Postcode (ME2 3HG) 

Helpline said the mast was showing problems but that was over 2 weeks ago now and still no improvement and they can not do any testing with me as I can only speak to them with the mobile as no landline where I am. 

Is there any stuff I can try myself ?

Also can someone check on the mast near me please. 

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have to confess I'm a Vodafone customer and I've travelled a bit around the UK. I've never seen speeds this slow.

We have to remember that Vodafone only carry data so far before it moves to Virgin's core system, so checking a Vodafone SIM speed against Virgin would be most illuminating.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 12.28.50.png

Here are my numbers using Speedtest at various locations within a few miles of my home in London SE10. You'll see highlighted is a test where I inserted my wife's Three SIM into the phone and I got 51.131 down, 11.6 up. Those were similar to the speeds I used to get on Virgin Mobile before the network was switched over to Vodafone.

Before the recent Vodafone slowdown I was getting 4G speeds like this

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 12.32.11.png

Hi Nialli, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

In order for us to help further, we will need you to complete a few steps. The first one being to clear the cache on your device. I've added instructions on how to do that below: 

General instructions for android

• Go to the Settings menu on your device. 
  • Tap Storage. Tap "Storage" in your Android's ... 
  • Tap Internal Storage under Device Storage. ... 
  • Tap Cached 
  • Tap OK when a dialog box appears asking if you're sure you want to clear*all app *cache. 

How to clear your iPhone’s cache

You need to clear out the Safari cache (Note that clearing the cache on Safari will log you out of all the websites that you’re currently logged into.)

• Open the Settings app and scroll down to Safari. 
  • In the Safari settings, scroll down and tap ‘Clear History and Website Data’. 
  • Tap ‘Clear History and Data’. 

This should make browsing on Safari a lot faster and should stop any problems you’re currently facing on web pages.

Pop back and let us know how this goes. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank but that's not addressing the underlying problem, which is that data speeds for customers drop dramatically (to 3G speeds) on Virgin Mobile SIMs connecting to the Vodafone network. It's not just me, it's the majority of threads on the Mobile section of Virgin's own Community. I notice that Virgin Mobile Business SIMs have been migrated to Vodafone - that'll lead to some very vocal and commercially valuable clients waving SLAs at you unless you address the problem.

I wish Virgin staff would acknowledge there's a serious problem for all Virgin Mobile customers rather than telling us to restart phones or toggle Airplane mode on then off or clear local caches. Vodafone's coverage map just highlights that the problem is with Virgin's access to the network.

Hi Nialli, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

As it stands there is no widespread issue with this. Most of those who have been migrated to Vodafone are having no issues and the issues we're having reported to us are are in a very small minority. It will look as though there are several as most people are only going to join the Community to advise of an issue they are having. 

We can only apologise if you are affected and there will be other things we can discuss if the above doesn't work however we do need to cover all basis. 

In terms of Virgin Mobile Business, as this forum is for residential customers, we're not able to comment on anything to do with Business I'm afraid. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

4 mobiles with virgin,, android and ios. Terrible or non existent data speeds in whole of merseyside area. Will be ordering 4 new sims from a different network shortly. Home broadband speeds fine 99% of the time and we've been mobile customers for years and years. Not anymore.

Hi Itanic, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having slow data speeds. Have you given the advice a try from the posts above to see if this helps improves things? 
Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Itanic wrote:

4 mobiles with virgin,, android and ios. Terrible or non existent data speeds in whole of merseyside area. Will be ordering 4 new sims from a different network shortly. Home broadband speeds fine 99% of the time and we've been mobile customers for years and years. Not anymore.

I live in Merseyside. As I stated before I am a Vodafone customer and have never seen speeds as slow as those appearing on this thread, and I travel around the area a lot. At present I'm getting 56Mbs at home on average.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry for such a negative first post. A moderator on any Internet /TV/mobile companies forums must have thick skin by default. When we were on ee = no problems when moved to vodaphone its a daily occurrence to expect not to have data quite often through the day. To have one mobile with these issues is one thing. To have 4 its the network not cache, not other stuff. Thanks

Let's look at this logically. There are too many posts appearing on here regarding speed issues once a customer switches from Virgin/EE to Virgin/Vodafone to discount any issues. But I also note that some are saying that they are fine with a Vodafone SIM.

Although I am a seasoned IT person (35+ years in the business and currently one of the managers looking after 16,000+ PC's/laptops and 1,500 servers - and I only mention this because I have had to do a lot of fault finding over the years) I will confess to have limited experience in telecoms (especially masts etc and how they function).

Anyway I setup a test area which involved a dedicated router (with SIM capability) connected to a directional 4G aerial to boost signal as I am in a poor reception area. I used the routers inbuilt speed test and also ensured weather conditions were the same for each SIM I tested. The results I found were on average:

Virgin/EE - 40-75Mbs (Band 3)

Virgin/Vodafone - 4-6MBs (Band 20)

EE - 60-75Mbs (Band 3)

3 - 30Mbs (Band 20)

Update to router ISP files + slight tweak to aerial position:

Virgin/Vodafone - 8-10Mbs (Band 20)

Note: pointed at the same mast which which shows Vodafone, 3, EE and O2 as services

I know Band 20 can be a busier channel but the speed of 3 (even if only half that of EE) shows what is available.

What I haven't tested yet (because I didn't have a SIM) was a dedicated Vodafone SIM. Given some comments on here that their Vodafone SIM seems fine that would be interesting.

So what can I conclude:

EE appears to be significantly better regarding data speeds compared to 3 and Vodafone in the area I am testing.

What can I conclude if I begin to assume things:

Vodafone are restricting bandwidth (if possible) for Virgin/Vodafone customers in 'some' areas.

What do I want

Ideally EE speeds but that is unlikely so 3 speeds would be nice please