cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link M7200 no longer compatible with VM sim?

cjp1
Up to speed

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly couldn’t use the router to access the internet with any devices connected to it, I thought it might be a problem with the sim so spoke to VM who said they would send me a new SIM card which arrived within a couple of days but didn’t solve the problem.

From here I spoke to TP-Link as it appeared it could be a problem with the device so they eventually sent me a replacement which arrived today.

This still didn’t solve the problem so I went back to VM and after a lot of testing, and swapping sims around was told it appears because VM have now switched from Vodafone to O2 unfortunately the sim is no longer compatible with the device! 

So in summary sim worked perfectly in device on Vodafone but now doesn’t after network switch to O2.

Has anyone else had a similar problem develop in the last few weeks?

32 REPLIES 32

It’s not a mains router. It’s a portable, battery powered dongle. And my O2 SIM works in it fine so they’re not to blame. If my Virgin Broadband reached the end of my garden I wouldn’t need it

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've got a Virgin  wifi pod which more than covers the length of my garden which is just short of 100ft

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Is that the case with O2 then? That’s a bit annoying, like I said in my original post my VM sim worked fine recently in my mobile router.

it seems the transition from Vodafone to O2 has put paid to that, disappointing!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Having a good look round the M7200 should work. They class it as a portable Mifi unit. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

weird isn’t it? 

Yes that’s it, I use it in my car to create a wifi hotspot and other locations when required.

Perfectly fine until a few weeks ago which I assume was when I was switched from Vodafone to O2

serenity
Joining in

HI all

After a long time online and on tech support I found that manually changing the ANS simply to goto.virginmobile.uk was all I needed for fix this. Hope it works for you too.

I was given these as the full settings

nternet APN Settings:
Name: Internet
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: None
Password: None
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
APN type: Default
MMS APN Settings:

Name: MMS
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: None
Password: None
Proxy/MMS Proxy: 193.030.166.002
MMSC/MMSC URL: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
Port/MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
Authentication Type CHAP
MMS APN Type: mms

Hello serenity,

Thank you very much for the update.

Gareth_L

Serenity,

Where did you change the APN, in the settings of the M7200?

Thanks Serenity,

That worked a treat, finally I can get use of my VM unlimited SIM again.

So in summary I connected to the M7200 via the tpMiFi app and then went to: Tools > Internet settings > APN Management > clicked the right hand top corner + to add a new APN. Then simply added a Profile name - I used virgin - then typed goto.virginmobile.uk in the APN box and pressed done. All other options I left as the default.

problem now finally solved, perhaps this info could now be relayed to the Virgin Mobile tech support team?

It’s great to finally get a solution for this!