Menu
Highlighted
RichaS
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Spending cap active

I set up £15:00 spending cap on my mobile weeks before reaching Qatar as I did not want any nasty surprises. within seconds of landing  I get a message that I have almost used up my spending cap.ok understandable. I blocked google app and turned off mobile data . Now I am getting a message that I have used app 13 MB data..at the rate of £5:00 per MB that will come up to£65.00... I checked everything...no foreground or background activity still £13 mb

There is a reason I set up the cap...I hope that I am not charged for it

So annoyed that my text messaging is blocked but data is flowing God know how and where...I hope that Virgin media is helpful in sorting out this issue.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Spending cap active

If the cap was set at £15, under Virgin's own terms they owe you back any charges above the £15.

Spending Cap Terms:

"When you reach your spending cap, you won’t be able do anything that could result in an out-of-allowance usage charge on your bill. This could include calling or texting a premium or international numbers and roaming outside of the EU. You will still be able to use your in-allowance services, use free services, call emergency numbers and buy bolt-ons. 

This limit will last until either you increase your spending cap, or until your allowances refresh the next month. 

If we accidentally let you use more than your cap, we will not charge you for usage that exceeds the cap."  https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-spending-caps-policy

There should also be data roaming cap, which I believe is set at £51 something, which you seem to have also gone over without sending a text to agree too  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-world-zone-2

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
RichaS
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Makes the rest of my trip bearable. 

I activated roaming just to be able to contact friends about my arrival and call a taxi.

Could not make a single call or even my text was bounced. Tried to use what'Sapp and Duo...I was barred. Had to borrow a stranger's phone to make a call. Very embarrassing. 

I set a cap of just £15 as I have a strict budget.

Virgin has stopped my data and texted that I can't use my phone....Fine..I don't want to use it. But not going to pay any roaming charges as I have not used roaming at all...rather COULD NOT use roaming at all.

Thanks a ton for your reply.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sorry for any upset and concern caused. 

Next time you're traveling outside of the EU please switch data off before you land, once you land and connect to the network then you'll start to be charged as smart phones will use data in the background. 

Services like texts and calls can only be charged when you make them. 

If you have any concerns with your bill or the services when you're back off your trip please let us know. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Emma_C

I believe the concerns have already been mentioned.

1. Spending cap threshold of £15 has been breached, which should not happen and should be taken off.

2: The law on data roaming costs being at a set level, has also been breached without consent from account holder.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Once the bill has been produced and the user has checked it over then we'll be more than happy to amend any incorrect charges @teabag, we'd wait until the bill has been produced first rather than going off the unbilled charges. 

Any charges up until the £15.00 cap would still remain but if the user wishes to change the spend cap to continue using the services in the meantime now that data roaming has been switched off we can also do that. 

🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Emma_C wrote:

Once the bill has been produced and the user has checked it over then we'll be more than happy to amend any incorrect charges @teabag, we'd wait until the bill has been produced first rather than going off the unbilled charges. 

Any charges up until the £15.00 cap would still remain but if the user wishes to change the spend cap to continue using the services in the meantime now that data roaming has been switched off we can also do that. 

🙂 

I just feel that waiting untill the bill has been produced to sort things out could be a long wait, especially as it sounds like the SIM has been barred from use untill sorted? - which may also still be barred when back in the UK also untill sorted?.

But if it's the way Virgin work, we can't change it 😞

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As any charges up until £15.00 are valid, any usage out side of the allowances would still be stopped even if we removed the incorrect charges now if that makes sense? 

But the number would still remain active for any incoming calls and messages, we can always adjust the spend cap if required in the meantime. 

Emma_C - Forum Team