cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim update

Rondons
Joining in

received an email telling me I need to update my SIM card before October for roaming etc  unfortunately I work in the marine industry and I’m currently crewing a boat around Sardinia until November . I don’t have a postal address while working so would be unable to have a new sim sent to me , is their anyway possible to have the update sent direct to my phone , in the email I received from yourselves it said you had tried to do this but my phone was switched off , is it possible to send this update again

7 REPLIES 7

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The updates can only occur when the phone is connected to the home network.

Unfortunately there are a few people in a similar position to yours but I am told there is no way to postpone these updates.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rondons

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding the SIM update.

Unfortunately, as @enlli advised the update can only be done when the phone is connected to the home network and we are unable to postpone these updates.

The work around has been to get friends / family in the UK to receive and activate a new SIM, then post it to the customer who is located abroad. Unfortunately as you do not have a postal address on the boat, this method may not work for you. I'm really sorry for this inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi thanks for the reply, how would I get someone to activate the sim? Just put it in their phone and do it that way 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rondons, a replacement SIM will usually activate automatically once it's put in a handset. If that doesn't work a member of staff can do it for you either from here, or via the mobile teams on 789/ 0345 600 0789.

Tom

Hi  yes  but unfortunately I’m not in England right now , I work in the marine industry and I’m currently in Sardinia crewing a yacht and sailing , I think the sim needs to be activated while connected to the virgin network 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

OK Rondons if the person who is receiving the SIM on your behalf has any trouble getting it working just send us another message on here and we can activate it for you before they send it on to you.

Tom 

Oh that’s great Tom thank you so much I really appreciate your help