cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim only - changing tariff/plan

BillBrum
Tuning in

Hi all.  I currently have a Virgin sim only plan, which was 5GB with a lifetime £4 discount and a resultant monthly fee of £9 (currently £9.34).  It also has a roll over of unused data from the previous month.

I have seen that there is a 12GB sim only deal for £9 per month, but when I go into my account and click on CHANGE MY PLAN that option is not there.  If I separately find the Virgin page where that deal is listed, when I click on it the next page shows a 9GB deal - but even if I were to order that sim, how would it be made to attach to my account and current number?

I'd appreciate your advice.  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi BillBrum, sorry to hear of your difficulties changing package. 

Have you given the team a call on 0345 600 0789 to get the package change processed for you?

All the best. 

Molly

Thanks for your reply.  Will it mean being sent a new sim card, or will they just change the plan?  If I change to another iPhone at some point will I then need a different sim card?

Apologies for the unclear answer but it depends if the SIM requires an update. We have recently changed our mobile network service provider. Have you recently had a SIM swap from us? Do you have a physical or ESIM currently?

All the best. 

Molly

Hi Molly

I tried calling 789, and the call was answered by the overseas call centre.  The call handler looked into it and said that he was unable to make the change and would transfer me to another department.  He did that, but the auto reply message said that the service was now closed.  Sunday I suppose, but maybe the call handler didn't know about Sundays.

My current deal goes back to Dec 2018, so would have been a Virgin/EE deal.  I suppose that new deals would be Virgin/O2?  I use an iPhone SE (2016/18) so is that a problem?

I don't understand about e-sims, so would a new deal need a new actual sim card? 

So sorry about this! The department will be back open tomorrow from 8am! Apologies for the delay to get this sorted. 

An ESIM is an electronic or virtual sim, so instead of having a physical sim in the device they are able to operate without one. Not all devices are compatible with this service, so if you are currently using a physical SIM in your iphone SE handset, it is likely you will still need a physical sim. This will not be a problem, if you do require a replacement SIM as part of the package change we will send one to you - the other will keep working until any replacement is activated. 

Virgin Mobile is not currently using the O2 network, we are currently operating throughout the Vodafone network. However, this may change at some point in the future.  

I hope this helps! Do let us know how you get on when you call us back, we can offer further support if needed!

All the best. 

Molly

Hi, just another question please.  Looking at Money Supermarket at sim only deals it shows two Virgin Mobile offers:

12 month contract for unlimited, unlimited, 20GB £9

24 month contract for unlimited, unlimited, 25GB £10

The website redirected me to a Virgin page for each of those offers.  In order to get one of those deals will I have to buy then ask for Virgin to port my number to that new sim?  If I could get it done by calling 789 I would be happy to do that, but as those offers do not show on the main Virgin site I imagine that the call handlers will not see those deals.  So, before trying that, what is your advice please?

Thanks for coming back to us @BillBrum.

Yes thats correct the team on 789 would be able to arrange for the number to be transferred over to the new sim card, if you take up the offers on the site. 

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for your reply Steven.  It seems odd that I cannot do something online or via 789 to ask to be moved to one of one of those new deals.  Is it the case that they are designed for new only customers that are not yet with Virgin?  When I go through the pages to order the 20GB for £10 offer I have to select from one of three options about switching to Virgin:

No thanks, I'm not switching right now.

I want to bring my number with me (then I have to provide a PAC number and my mobile number).

I want to deactivate my existing number (needing a STAC code...)

What do you advise about this please.  It still seems not the best way to have to do this.  If that offer is available, I don't see why I cannot just be moved to it.

Thanks for coming back to us @BillBrum.

I have looked further into this and the team on 789 should be able to get one of these deals arranged for you with your number transfer to your new sim, when the sim is delivered to you.

Regards,

Steven_L