cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim not connecting to networks

Jon1951
Up to speed

Just returned from a 10 day holiday, Alaska, USA, Canada,

and for 10 days my phone wouldn’t connect to any networks, had to rely on local Wi-Fi if available to be able to phone home or send , receive messages, 

the phone sim could not or would not update, therefore no network, the only time it connected was on the last day in Vancouver, lot of use that was, 

why won’t virgin sims connect when used abroad, 

another 10 days phone charges down the drain,

is there a sim that can be used worldwide ?

12 REPLIES 12

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jon1951 

is there a sim that can be used worldwide ?

There are a number of companies that do world SIM cards.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If I’m in contract to virgin, can I change the virgin sim to another company’s sim without contractual issues ?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want to leave and check the cost then

• Text 'INFO' and your date of birth (in DD/MM/YYYY format) to 85075 For example: INFO 01/03/1984.

BTW you can't transfer your Virgin  number to a World SIM it has to be another UK network. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Leaving is not the option, just want the sim I am paying for to work outside of Europe, ie the Caribbean 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @Jon1951,

I'm sorry to hear the SIM wasn't working when abroad. Unfortunately, we do not offer an International SIM - but our SIMs do connect to the local network of the country you are in. Can you please ensure that your phone is setup for travelling abroad by:

- Logging in to Your Account and heading to Plan & Device
- Selecting Manage Services
- Find the Going Abroad section and setting the slider to ON
- Making sure International Call Barring is turned OFF

These changes can take up to 24 hours to be updated. In addition, when you arrive in the country, we would advise to reboot the device so it can connect to the local network.

Moreover, to ensure the service works, you will need to turn off the Spend Cap, or set it to above £0 as some countries may be chargeable per call, text and for data usage. You can find out more here.

You can also find further instructions on getting your phone set-up for overseas usage here.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

All the settings were already set on both of our phones before we traveled, still had problems connecting, forced too use Wi-Fi most of the time when available,

thanks for WhatsApp, life saver,

thanks for all the comments looks like we have to live with what we get,

Just to throw in another issue, I could not get connected, but while I was away virgin managed to send 30 voicemails to my phone, after checking my voicemail, I was told I had no voicemails, but the phone notification stated I had 30, 

it then became impossible to remove the notification ?
Got rid of it by sending myself a voicemail then deleting it, what a pain, cost me £2 to check my voicemails that did not exist .

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jon1951,

Thanks for confirming those details. Can you please confirm which device you are using the SIM card in? In addition, the service may not connect if you're in an area that has extremely weak, or no signal with our network partners. 

Did you experience the signal issue on both devices you had? Are they the same device, or different?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

A32 5g and a A41  both would not connect, in Alaska anywhere , only connected in Vancouver on last day, did not fully connect till we got to uk,