Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sim card update query

A few months ago I received a text message from virgin media which said that they would send me a new sim card as they were making updates to the network. However I have not swapped my sim card as the card went to my old address. My question is does anyone know when the sim card swap has to be completed by ? when I researched this there was no specific date but some people suggested either the end of 2020 or the start of 2021. If anyone knows this would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sim card update query

All I have been given is sometime this year. I think C-19 has slowed things a bit. However, there is certainly a big push on to get them swapped 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When virgin media does know when the official date is will they give every user a reminder message maybe ? Also would they give this with plenty of time to change it say 1 month notice ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Flower111 wrote:
When virgin media does know when the official date is will they give every user a reminder message maybe ? Also would they give this with plenty of time to change it say 1 month notice ?

That is my understanding of how it will work, but personally I wouldn't take a chance leaving things to the last minute.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As enlli says, you need to sort this. If you didn't get the SIM that Virgin Media sent, you should get it cancelled and resent to your correct address.

If Virgin Media think they have sent you a card and you've just not activated it, they will start the process to move you over anyway. Although you will get plently of reminders by SMS before that happens they won't sent out another SIM unless you ask them to.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What do you mean start the process to move me over anyway ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Flower111 wrote:
What do you mean start the process to move me over anyway ?

The SIM Swap is a required change and you must use the new SIM card Virgin Media send out.

When the new SIM cards are first sent out, Virgin Media leave the existing SIM card running so that the customer can change over at a convenient time.

However, customers will eventually have the new SIM card activated regardless of whether they've put in their device or not - because the change is required.

This is on the letter than comes with the SIM card, but obviously in your case you've not a new SIM yet so won't have seen the letter!

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To highlight what @BenMcr says.

My daughter decided to move networks. On the day she got her new SIM Virgins replacement came. She tried to get a PAC code but it failed both by text and from her online account. 

On ringing Virgin she was told there was a SIM swap in progress and they couldn't issue a code till the new SIM was activated. She went ahead and activated the new Virgin SIM after which she got her code by text, no problem 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Flower111, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

As @BenMcr has advised it is best to get this resolved sooner rather than later. In the case of the SIM being sent to your old address, we would need to process a new SIM to your current address. I will send you over a private message so I can do that for you. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos