Menu
welldonehelen
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sim card failure

I am at an absolute loss with Virgin Mobile. I got an iphone 7 from them just over a year ago and the phone calls have always been so poor that I always spoke to people on Whatsapp. I didn't really know that the one bar indicated I had next to no phone signal till my grandchildren pointed it out. I know, I know... 

I recently became a PhD student at the age of 63 after being a nurse for 30 years. I have been so busy that I never dealt with the phone issue unfortunately and just resigned myself to the rubbish signal and whatsapp, with the occasional checking to see that the coverage in my area  was ok - and it always is.......then in the last few months I've just got so sick it it I started to complain - I can't even ring the doctors for a flu jab as it cuts out. So I spent 2 hours on two seperate phone calls going through diagnostics and they sent me out another sim which didn't work.... and on it went.

I had 3 lengthy only chats and the operators said it must be my phone, which - guess what? is now out of warranty. They said I could get it repaired at my own expense.... hhhmmm - not an option for an older student living on a bursary.

Then one of my sons just had enough.....he had 3 hours!!!! 3 hours!!! on the phone to virgin in one phone call last week and in the end I purchased a new phone on credit.

The phone duly arrived - imagine my excitement - in went the sim card and guess what...........exactly the same problem. One bar of phone signal - coverage here is good - doesn't matter where I go - one bar of phone signal and unable to maintain a conversation without being cut off. So now I have two perfectly serviceable phones. One which I had to pay £300 for to pay off the credit agreement last week, in order to get a new phone as they were so insistent that it was faulty..... yet neither of them works because of the sim cards I have been sent!

I cannot tell you how much frustration this has caused - how much wasted time and still the problem hasn't been resolved. I've ordered a new sim card - I'm not holding my breath that it will work. I finally saw my son at the weekend and he put his vodafone sim into my phone and guess what? four bars of signal...

What do I do?

Money Saving Expert or Watchdog perhaps? Please help.....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sim card failure

In all honesty poor signal is poor signal and there is little to be done as Virgin don't have their own network of masts they use EE

Moving to another network will make sense, but not one that is EE based the same as Virgin

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

welldonehelen
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks so much for your reply - I have read though that Virgin have sent out several batches of faulty Sims since September - the trouble is that they haven't told the staff who deal with queries....

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The faulty SIM cards did not cause the problem you are experiencing and it was a lot earlier than September. You may be reading that some cards are incompatible with certain phones, yours is not one of them.

I've no idea where you are and if your problem is confined to a specific area. If the phone works well in some areas then both the SIM and phone can be ruled out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

welldonehelen
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi - I'm in Oxford. The phone signal does not change wherever I am - its always at one bar.

0 Kudos
welldonehelen
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@welldonehelen wrote:

That may be so but I beg to differ re the dates being incorrect.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/frustration-as-virgin-media-uk-issue-invalid-mobile-si...

Those SIMs themselves aren't faulty and work in newer unlocked phones. The errors were down to the phones being older devices that were either locked to EE and requiring to be unlocked, or had other issues with the SIMs within their OS and no updates to support the SIMs are possible

We raised this issue with Virgin Media and were informed that, prior to beginning their SIM swap programme, they had conducted several checks to help mitigate problems but may have been unable to determine whether or not some older handsets would actually be compatible (e.g. if the phone didn’t originally come directly from Virgin and the device is more than 10 years old).

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos