cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Application option missing

Smoggy239
Up to speed

Hi,
My iPhone 7 has reformatted my contacts yet again causing incoming calls to show only the calling number instead of the contact’s  name. Whilst going through the usual procedures to restore the contacts to normal format I noticed that Sim Applications option is missing from Settings/ Mobile data, it’s also missing from my wife's iPhone 8 ( also Virgin Mobile sim ). Using this option to change roaming to “manual” and “international “ seems to be the only way to get service whilst roaming, how are customers supposed to do it now? Do any of thr Forum Team have any ideas, are Sims being updated ? I also couldn’t find an option to update Carrier settings which I think that I’ve seen in the past.

Regards,

Dave

23 REPLIES 23

Hi Natalie_L,

There is a post by milindshanak from yesterday regarding roaming not working in India, he was unable to find the Sim Application on his iPhone and he cannot get service. It would be nice if Virgin Mobile customers could go abroad and their phones would just work, like and other provider's do, and did not have to mess around with settings to get service.

Regards,

Dave

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Smoggy239 wrote:

Hi Natalie_L,

There is a post by milindshanak from yesterday regarding roaming not working in India, he was unable to find the Sim Application on his iPhone and he cannot get service. It would be nice if Virgin Mobile customers could go abroad and their phones would just work, like and other provider's do, and did not have to mess around with settings to get service.

Regards,

Dave

The way roaming works will be changing when Virgin Customers are moved over totally to O2 and will be on their systems.

Virgin roaming has always been via a proxy network because as a virtual network they have no roaming agreements of their own.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks enlli,

Previous comments by yourself made me aware of Virgin Mobile's roaming arrangement with a company based in Belgium ( GlobalSign ?) and that hopefully the numerous unresolved roaming problems would no longer be present once the impending transfer of customers to O2 sims and plans was completed. The transfer is supposed to start in February but I wonder if some background changes are already happening as witnessed by the disappearing Sim Applications option.

Regards,

Dave

Hi

When will the SIM applications option be restored? I need this to make my WIFI calling and number formatting work on my iPhone 13. A workaround for these problems via an adjustment in the SIM applications was great until this option has suddenly disappeared.

Thanks

Jonny

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jlattimer wrote:

Hi

When will the SIM applications option be restored? I need this to make my WIFI calling and number formatting work on my iPhone 13. A workaround for these problems via an adjustment in the SIM applications was great until this option has suddenly disappeared.

Thanks

Jonny

I doubt it it will be restored as it will not be needed when people are moved onto O2's systems.

Looks like someone has jumped the gun on this one disabling the function before moving people

When Virgin said the move across would be seamless. A number of us commented that seamless was not a word you could use for Virgin / O2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @jlattimer thanks for your reply here.

So once a customer has been migrated to O2, the SIM toolkit feature is fully removed as this is no longer needed. 

If you cannot access this, then it's possible you may been yourself based on this info.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom_W1,

In Settings/General/About my iPhone 7 shows the network to be “Virgin “ and the network provider to be “Virgin 50.0” . In Settings/General/VPN and Device management there is a Virgin Mobile data settings option as detailed in a different post. As far as I’m concerned enlli is correct in his assumption that some halfwit has deleted the Sim Application option before migrating the customer onto an O2 sim/contract. 
Regards,

Dave

Hi @Smoggy239 thanks for your reply.

If you'd like some clarity on the migration, I can send you a PM to either rule this out completely or tell you the migration has in fact happened as we're unable to confirm anything publicly.

Please let me know if so and I'll invite you into a PM conversation.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom_W1,

I would like to clarify what is happening so I’m happy to have a PM conversation.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Tom,

Regarding you statement in PMs that Virgin do not use another company for roaming abroad oplease see this post and the screenshots from my phone -

Virgin Roaming not working on iphone in India - Page 3 - Virgin Media Community - 5240212

Regards,

Dave