cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Application option missing

Smoggy239
Up to speed

Hi,
My iPhone 7 has reformatted my contacts yet again causing incoming calls to show only the calling number instead of the contact’s  name. Whilst going through the usual procedures to restore the contacts to normal format I noticed that Sim Applications option is missing from Settings/ Mobile data, it’s also missing from my wife's iPhone 8 ( also Virgin Mobile sim ). Using this option to change roaming to “manual” and “international “ seems to be the only way to get service whilst roaming, how are customers supposed to do it now? Do any of thr Forum Team have any ideas, are Sims being updated ? I also couldn’t find an option to update Carrier settings which I think that I’ve seen in the past.

Regards,

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Smoggy239 wrote:

Hi Natalie_L,

There is a post by milindshanak from yesterday regarding roaming not working in India, he was unable to find the Sim Application on his iPhone and he cannot get service. It would be nice if Virgin Mobile customers could go abroad and their phones would just work, like and other provider's do, and did not have to mess around with settings to get service.

Regards,

Dave

The way roaming works will be changing when Virgin Customers are moved over totally to O2 and will be on their systems.

Virgin roaming has always been via a proxy network because as a virtual network they have no roaming agreements of their own.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Smoggy239,

Thanks for you post and welcome back to the community.

Can I ask regarding this, was this option available previously?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain_W

Yes, the option was previously available, as mentioned above it’s usually the only way to connect to a network when roaming, My wife and I have had to change the roaming options to get our phones to work on 2 separate visits to Majorca last year. Doing so is a standard reply by Forum Team members to roaming problems, there’s a similar procedure for Samsung mobile using their Toolkit.

Regards,

Dave

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Right okay thanks for getting back to us,

Are you able to switch the network from Automatic to Manual via the "Mobile Data" tab?

Also are both handsets the same model i.e. Apple?

Regards,

Kain

Hi Kain_W

My phone is an iPhone 7, my wife's an iPhone 8. I can switch off automatic selection, carrier options are

Virgin

EE

vodafone UK

3 UK

234 32

Regards,

Dave

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No worries, just to clarify are you currently receiving no service?

Just from the queries from the post, if so are you able to manually select Virgin's network to see if you can gain service?

Also to answer the other question if you are a Virgin Mobile customer, we will be integrating our service with O2 in the coming months, our team will send communcation 30 days prior to your date of switchover.

Thanks,

Kain

Hi Kain_W

Slight misunderstanding, I've got service but my contacts reformat from time to time as mentioned, Whilst changing settings to restore the correct format I noticed the Sim Application option was not there, it was last July and October because changing from Manual / National to Manual /International is the only way to get roaming service abroad. Here is a reply from Gareth_L regarding using Sim application -

If you’re using an Android phone, please can you do the following: Selects Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. 

If  you’re using an iPhone, please can you do the following: Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. If you’re using a newer iOS, then you it will be under Mobile Data instead of phone. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. 

Regards,

Dave

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Ah okay,

I take it after rebooting the option is still no visible?

Has this problem only been recent?

Regards,

Kain

83E4A218-D5BC-444D-975E-6290BEBF0CFA.png

Hi Kain_W

The reboot reference is regarding getting a network connection when roaming. I have only noticed the Sim Application option was missing because I was attempting to fix the well known contact reformatting problem. I have rebooted my phone 4 times over the past 24hrs, the Sim Application option is not there, it was previously, it is needed to change roaming settings from manual/national to manual/international otherwise you can’t get a network connection when roaming due to the Micky Mouse way Virgin Sims use a Belgian company for roaming .

Regards,

Dave

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply.

I have just check on an iPhone and can confirm the option is no longer showing available there to. This may have changed with a recent software update. 

When roaming, you will need to select Network Selection and this will allow you to switch from automatic to manual. When switching to manual, you are provided with the carrier options. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks, 

Nat