cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i be getting the same signal strength as vodafone?

Waddle
Tuning in

Hi peeps, any info be much appreciated.

After 20+ years ive been limited to vodafone for signal quality , when I saw Virgin was using Vodafone masts, confirming it with sales,  I switched my number over and chose new handset last week. But I'm not getting same signal, its actually really bad even in my home total outage to -124db, at best I can get -101db. It looks as though its only able to use 3G. As a last resort I've also tried 2 vodafone handsets in areas I'm getting reception issues and those get good strength. I even tried putting the virgin sim in the voda handsets and still get signal issues! 

I installed an android signal monitoring app and the info is telling me I'm on virgin but my signal is actually coming from EE.  So I'm now confused as to why its not using Vodafone.  I know that EE is not a coverage I get so would never go to them. If virgin had said it was EE masts I wouldn't have switched over, now I'm confused!

Does this match anyone else's experience? Is virgin actually using Vodafone masts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

VM is changing - they originally used EE and have recently switched some of their network to Vodaphone - further down the line it could/may all change to O2

the key thing in your post i believe is what is actually happening now - you say an app? tells you are connected to EE masts - thats pretty simple and conclusive whatever CS says  - thats the situation today - one of the more knowledgeable people on mobile may be able to tell you more but you have really answered your own question

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

VM is changing - they originally used EE and have recently switched some of their network to Vodaphone - further down the line it could/may all change to O2

the key thing in your post i believe is what is actually happening now - you say an app? tells you are connected to EE masts - thats pretty simple and conclusive whatever CS says  - thats the situation today - one of the more knowledgeable people on mobile may be able to tell you more but you have really answered your own question

Tony.
Sacked VIP

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you took out one of the new 5G contracts you should be on Vodafone as no new contracts are going out on EE.

If you are on EE then something is wrong

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, I really appreciate your reply cleared away some of my brain fuzz trying to figure out what's going on...grateful to say the least!

Sales were so convincing saying if I get Vodafone I'd definitely get the same signal with Virgin as they were now using their masts..ummmmm!! (Grummpy face emoji if I could find one)! Maybe a bit naive to trust what I'm told! They never mentioned possibly going to o2 masts, that's just as bad for me! 

Back to the very expensive Voda I guess...uhhhh!

Much appreciated

It's the 4G, they didn't have any stock if tghe 5G phone I wanted so they said 4G wouldn't make any difference!

Hi sales people will tell you what you want to hear, anything to get their commission. Regards Micky

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The move to O2 is some way down the line. 1. Virgin  signed a 5 year deal with Vodafone and will have to pay compensation to leave. 2. Merging Virgin's ramshackle core network with O2 will take a lot of planning.

If you need Vodafone, would Voxi suit your needs? Now has 5G, Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE. 30 day contracts and no credit checks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Even if it is a 4G phone as a new customer you should have been put on Vodafone. 

The ignorance of sales is almost on a par with that of Customer services.

Im fast learning sales will say anything to get you in board....too trusting and gullible I guess! The offer for same deal, phone with voda was an extra £20 per month...i can hear the 'too good to be true'!

Problem is I don't have any 5G masts near me on vodafone or any provider!  All round me is really rubbish for any coverage apart from Voda.

My biggest worry is that I'm in a wheelchair and the idea of having car troubles where I can't get cell coverage freaks me which is why I never changed provider until Virgin fed me wrong info. 

Added annoyance I've had to book my car in for software update on tues as it won't connect to my phone as a portable hotspot...virgin blamed the car as " it will connected when I was using Voda it will work with Virgin"  so now I'm wondering if that's necessary, especially as more ££££! 

Is there any way of finding out which providers like Voxi use which masts...I wouldn't now take sales advisers assurances!  

I really appreciate everyone's time and suggestions. The more I learn the more I can prepare myself with!

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

afaik - Vodafone: Asda Mobile, Lebara, Voxi as well as themselves [obviously] they may be others

Tony.
Sacked VIP