Menu
cajster3108
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Serious drop in 4g connection speed over last 24 hours

I recently purchased a 4G unlimited data SIM. I expained to the VM CSA that my intention was to use it for my home broadband connection as I had no VM cable in the area and BT speeds were appalling. I also made it clear we were heavy data users as I wanted clarification that I would not fall foul of a fair usage policy or have my connection throttled.

The CSA advised that none of the above would be an issue and in fact , she went on to recommend a 4G LTE router I should purchase. The VM SIM would simply be inserted into the router and given we live in a strong 4G signal, that should provide a good, fast connection to our home with unlimited data downloads.

Everything seemed great. When I first set things up, we were getting ~ 25-30 mb/s upload and download (BT speeds in our area are 1.5-2.0 mb/s!). I was delighted with the switch. That was about a month ago. However in the last couple of days, my connection speed has nosedived. Speeds are less that 1mb/s and sometimes it's virtually unusable. I have checked the network status in our area (EH19 postcode) and there are no reported issues. Nothing has changed at our end over the last few days that would explain these poor connection speeds. 

Can anyone in this community help me please?

Thanks,

Colin

WizOZ
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Serious drop in 4g connection speed over last 24 hours

How much data did you use before it dropped ?
0 Kudos
MrMrAntenna
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same issue.

Today was reset day. Yet I’m still stuck with 1mbps down and up.

Virgin customer service haven’t a clue.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Mobile networks have a long way to go before they can be used to replace fixed line internet. That is why as speeds got faster (4G) unlimited data got dropped. If each tower has 1gbps (and that is why more then i'd expect) and has 10,000 Mobile devices that is 100kbps per device. 4g is amazing for a quick boost for download or upload but can't sustain it like fixed line can

0 Kudos
cajster3108
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

In that case, their unlimited data sims should not be sold as such. My compaint isn't that my connection is being throttled, it's that I asked the questions before I signed on the dotted line. I got all the right answers from the CSA. It seemed too good to be true and I thought as much at the time but I was assured otherwise. If I'd been told up-front of fair usage policy and throttling I'd have looked for an alternative.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

No mobile data shouldn't be sold as unlimited.

Problem you have is until the regulations catch up you are stuck. We still argue that upto speeds on fixed line internet shouldn't be used but they are still allowed. problem with 3g/4g is due to signal and so many factors your 4g internet is not advertised with a speed. So as long as you have a connection you have 4g. Even if it runs at 10kbps.

0 Kudos
cajster3108
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Lots but before I left BT I requested a breakdown of my previous 12 months' data usage. We have 5 adults in the house. We stream Netfix, Amazon, etc. and they use a games console. I made this clear. The figures were high  but I was fully up-front. I quoted typical usage based on previous BT contract of 300-400 GB / month to the VM CSA who told me it wouldn't be an  issue. If it had been, then clearly their proposed solution would've been a non-starter and I knew that which is why I asked the questions.

I now have a connection that's slower than by previous rubbish BT connection. I also paid a hundred quid for a router. I feel slightly  misled. Sadly I think it's now back to the drawing board which unfortunately means BT's "upgraded"  7-12 mb/s at £43/month and locked into an 18 month contract :-(

@WizOZ wrote:
How much data did you use before it dropped ?

0 Kudos
Edward568
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

This is the problem with offering Unlimited Data services...

There's always going to be a battle between not worrying about how much data your using and congestion unfortunately congestion will always win as of current technologies used.

Using Unlimited data as a home broadband substitute isn't sustainable it's selfish to other users on the network because you effect each and every person connected to that mast your on a contention ratio of around 1:100+

Spectrum is finite for the sake of everyone in your area don't use unlimited data as a home broadband substitute (This is why networks don't like offering unlimited data EE won't ever do it with current technologies and spectrum they use because they'd lose the claim of been the "Fastest" network because they would have to impose traffic management).

With users suggesting this on the forum I can see Virgin Media implimenting some kind of traffic management in the future on these £20pm unlimited everything sims to tackle this problem.

You may not like this but it's just me been honest it's completely selfish and your the type of people who ruin it for everyone else and will force Virgin Media to make changes to tackle these problems.

0 Kudos
WizOZ
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Colour is your sim ?
0 Kudos
cajster3108
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Edward568 wrote:

This is the problem with offering Unlimited Data services...

There's always going to be a battle between not worrying about how much data your using and congestion unfortunately congestion will always win as of current technologies used.

Using Unlimited data as a home broadband substitute isn't sustainable it's selfish to other users on the network because you effect each and every person connected to that mast your on a contention ratio of around 1:100+

Spectrum is finite for the sake of everyone in your area don't use unlimited data as a home broadband substitute (This is why networks don't like offering unlimited data EE won't ever do it with current technologies and spectrum they use because they'd lose the claim of been the "Fastest" network because they would have to impose traffic management).

With users suggesting this on the forum I can see Virgin Media implimenting some kind of traffic management in the future on these £20pm unlimited everything sims to tackle this problem.

You may not like this but it's just me been honest it's completely selfish and your the type of people who ruin it for everyone else and will force Virgin Media to make changes to tackle these problems.

I have no issue with what you say however to be labelled selfish is very unfair. I had no intention of using a 4g connection as my main broadband until I was advised it was an option by VM. As a consumer I was merely looking for a suitable solution to our specific requirement and as such I have no need to know about (or interest in) contention ratios or any other infrastructure issues the ISP may have: if VM or any other ISP needs to manage it's infrastructure by throttling or capping they should be up-front about it and not give bad advice out to potential customers. Advising me, when I made it clear we were heavy data users, that an unlimited data 4g sim was a viable alternative to a wired connection appears now to be bad advice. Not to mention that I raised the issue of fair usage before I bought the contract.