Colour is your sim ?

Red.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Serious drop in 4g connection speed over last 24 hours

they are not capping the connection its a limitation of the technology. As its not a thottle added by the provider it just goes down to limitations in the service. so nothing to tell

0 Kudos
cajster3108
Tuning in
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
they are not capping the connection its a limitation of the technology. As its not a thottle added by the provider it just goes down to limitations in the service. so nothing to tell

So if I understand correctly, the network under load will by way of the limitations of the underlying technology, reduce the connection speed to exactly 1mb/s (from ~ 30 mb/s) and keep it at that level for what is now almost 72 hours? If the connection speed varies with the demand for the service, should it not improve off-peak? Or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

it is not all about the demand its about signal quality as well.

0 Kudos
cajster3108
Tuning in
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
it is not all about the demand its about signal quality as well.

That's something else I checked BEFORE I bough the contract. By supplying our postcode, the VM CSA was very quickly able to confirm we were in a strong signal area with good signal quality. The signal strength indicator on the router has confirmed this. The signal strength has remained very strong with good quality from the get-go.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

you can see signal strength but unlikely you have anything that can see the quality.

0 Kudos
cajster3108
Tuning in
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
you can see signal strength but unlikely you have anything that can see the quality.

I'm within sight of the mast. The signal strength is strong. Signal quality is a red herring in this case. Nothing has changed in our set-up that would impact the signal quality. The download speed (and presumably therefore the signal strength/quality) was excellent until a few days ago. There's no doubt about it that the connection speed has been restriced as a result of fair usage policy, the existence of which I have no issue with: what I do have issue with is being given misleading infomation prior to purchasing the contract. At the risk of repeating myself, prior to buying the unlimited data SIM quoted our usage figures (obtained from our previous ISP, BT) and was told such data usage would not be an issue. Had I been told otherwise, I would have looked elsewhere.     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Edward568
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If Virgin Media told you to jump off a cliff would you? (Sometimes you have to be responsible for your own actions)

It's common sense to know that your connected to a cell site (mast) that has hundreds of people connected to you just have to do a simple speedtest to see your speeds fluctuating or displaying network jitter that's usually caused via congestion too many people downloading things from the mast obviously it can be because of signal penetration as such a wall.

Unfortunately we live in a society where people use what customer service agents who sometimes have absolutely no idea of what is worded in terms and conditions said against them simply because they are trying to sell a contract as a example... My friend works for EE and he once slipped up and said wrong information it nearly cost him his job as the customer complained manager listened to the calls as they are recorded and it went down disciplinary but mistakes happen and are simply put inevitable.

As you know about unlimited tethering and have a interest in it i'm sure your aware why Three UK had to abolish unlimited tethering? Because they couldn't handle it too many people where consuming over 500GB+ and it was bringing down three's whole network.

As a Virgin Media customer please don't ruin the service for everyone else! I like having unlimited calls,texts and data but they will have to impose restrictions if people do this as it isn't designed for a home broadband replacement.

0 Kudos
biggeorge
Joining in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I personally think you have been capped, I have just had this very same issue today.

200mb Broadband is currently down so phone comes to the rescue for the kids to stream on tablets and few days has been perfect but at 4pm my connection went to pot, 1mb if I am lucky on my PC with WiFi tether, Netflix won't run at all.

If it were network congestion the speed would be fluctuating and not a steady 1mb so something is going on with the network, I believe the sims have been Throttled due to too much usage.

Like yourself I was sold unlimited 4g with absolutely no limits, still have the chat logs as evidence.

0 Kudos
staircase
Joining in
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have had a very similar experience with my allegedly unlimited Sim. Using Virgin Mobile has been a pretty miserable experience so far. Some very judgy comments on here ... it's not unreasonable to expect to receive the service advertised and confirmed when specific enquiries have been made. To suggest that people like me who want to use a 4G LTE router are spoiling it for everyone is a bit much! Over a period of a few weeks I've consumed 40Gb of data. Not exactly excessive, huh? If I ask for a slice of white toast in a cafe I expect it (a) to be white (b) toasted (c) to be allowed to eat the whole slice. Does expecting to be able to have my cake (er, toast) and eat it a greedy person? I did actually pay for it and don't want it served a crumb at a time. My complaint is that despite using the Sim quite modestly I have effectively been throttled to the point of passing out!! The Sim works at great speeds (typically 45 down and c20 up) in my phone but instantly slows to the point of being unusable when inserted in my router. I too was told that it's absolutely fine to use a Sim in a 4G LTE router. I just don't understand why I can download to my heart's content on my phone but not with a router. When I spent a fruitless 2 hours with tech support - who at no point suggested any throttling or shortcoming on Virgin's part - they concluded "it should work" ... which was what I said to them when I first made contact. Doh.
0 Kudos