Menu
GBBB04
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Scammed from this number 08431330418

I received a call from this number 08431330418, he said he was from sky but I refused to speak to him - the call did not last 20 seconds.  I now have two charges on my bill totalling £22 for about 15 minutes worth of calls and it appears as the calls are outgoing.  Virgin tells me that I made the calls and that it is to a premium rate number so they will not refund me.  I have found posts complaining about this particular number on several other forums and the same thing happening where people have been charged for calls they did not make to this number.   Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

0 Kudos
Mr_Allen
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scammed from this number 08431330418

As a general rule, if you get a call from a number you don't recognise that's not in your phone contact list, do NOT answer it!

OK sometimes it might be something important, but generally it tends to be cold calls trying to sell you summat.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BeardedBlunder
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

In the experience of our household, it's usually Virgin sales asking for the owner of the OTHER handset than the one they rang, trying to push stuff you don't want on you, if you make the error of answering.

Would be interesting how the scam worked in the OP's case though, how are they getting things to show as outgoing calls when you've not made those calls, and how to prevent it?  Particularly in the case of someone who's expecting a call from a number they don't know ( council, social services, any other "officialdom" ) where not answering just because you don't "know" the possibly also withheld number might not be a good idea?

0 Kudos
mavericke2018
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@GBBB04,

Apart from what has been said, never ever pick up any premium calls, e.g. 0843, 0871, 0870, 090 and etc., as it may be a charge back call.

I wish you have better luck next time.

I would certainly advise you to have a word with VM and persuade them to help you to write off the charges.
0 Kudos
BeardedBlunder
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Networks who actually give a monkeys about their customers provide global settings to BLOCK all premium numbers, cap data usage, and other protections against sudden unexpected bills... God I regret shifting from Orange/EE only had one problem, quickly and efficiently sorted, and NO hassle from SALES PEOPLE.. 

One shouldn't need to memorise all premium prefixes, good as your advice is @maverike2018

THIS SHOWER on the other hand.... stuff that should take minutes to fix isn't even acknowledged days later, and the phone system to contact them is plain broken, totally unusable.

paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

🙈🙉🙊

0 Kudos
Yafster1
Just browsing
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

The same exact thing happened to me with the same exact number. After spending an hour on the phone with a Virgin Media rep I was informed that these charges are coming from Virgin not Sky. I was ensured that this number is indeed a valid Sky number.

Apparently, any calls being made to numbers beginning 084 are not included in our Virgin Mobile contracts. Virgin charges their customers extra for calls to numbers such as this one which they refer to as 'service numbers' on your bill. Once again, this is not a scam from some external company. This charge comes from Virgin not from the holders of the 084 number.

Frankly, I think it is dishonest for Virgin to charge customers for services without informing them beforehand that they will be charged and how much they will be charged. But alas this is what they do and they make a lot of money off of customers  who are unaware that calling certain numbers will cost them.

In my case, I was charged 26 pounds for a forty minute call. I called to complain and they offered me a 10 pound 'first time courtesy payment'  but refused to accept my argument that it is unfair to charge customers such exorbitant rates without first informing them that they will incur this charge. 

My suggestion to Virgin:

If you insist on charging extra for certain calls please make sure that customers are made aware of the exact charges before they make the call. Perhaps by way of an automated voice message or by text. Too many of us are being surprised by these charges and it is not nice to levy surprise fees on customers. Customers should be made aware of the cost of a service BEFORE they are allowed to use the service - not after.

I hope this helps some people.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/servicenumbers.html

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/010618_Everyday_Cal...

Bottom of page 5

Access charge for 084 number is 11.25p so VM get that and the provider that owns the number gets the rest of the call cost.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax

I believe these people made the calls via Virgin mobile, the Access Charge from a Virgin Mobile is 58p @minute, then plus the Service Charge 

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

fair enough

0 Kudos