cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STUN/SIP blocked when using VM "oomph" sim

mpmc
Superfast

Hi folks.

It would appear that Virgin Media / Virgin Mobile are messing with connections to STUN servers for use with VOIP/SIP. I smell deep packet inspection!

Here's what I know, connections to stun servers, for example Google and Sipgate, will all connect fine but the fact that audio only is being dropped leads me to believe that Virgin Media/Mobile are using DPI to intentionally hinder these kinds of connections. 

Sadly using a STUN server is the only way to handle UDP connections over mobile networks due to CGNAT.

The same setup on a Sky Mobile SIM also using the o2 network, in exactly the same way, works perfectly fine. SIP registers via STUN server and audio is passed without issue.

Very annoying.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).
6 REPLIES 6

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mpmc,

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your services with your mobile, do you have screenshots to show the issues you are having with this so we can see what you are seeing?

Are you able to view using a wifi connection? 

Zoie

There is no screenshots as I'm using a 4G LTE router via a terminal.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mpmc, 

is it just the software/app you are having issues with? If so, then you will need to speak to them.

The only thing we guarantee is our calls, texts and mobile data.

Zoie

There is no app, it is an underlying network issue on the VMO2 end. As in my opening post, audio packets are dropped intentionally by the network.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

If you could please give us some examples of this we can get it raised.

Zoie

It's not something that can be shown without access to the other side of the connection, on VMs side. It's best if you look up how stun servers work. Sadly VM appear to be blocking or hindering their use for audio calls over VOIP.