cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM toolkit missing

RachelGuernsey
Tuning in

Hello. I'm in Guernsey and the usual Virgin SIM toolkit app that i always select from home screen or apps, that allows me to manually select international roaming is now MISSING. I can't connect to any network. All my other international settings are fine, roaming is on as usual. Please tell me how to access the usual SIM Toolkit? If I can't connect Aby more in Guernsey I'll need to change networks as soon as I get home as I cinome here once a month. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RachelGuernsey 

Well Virgin Mobile won't exist past the end of this year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Smoggy239
Up to speed

Hi RachelGuernsey,

It has been removed prematurely ( before customers are migrated to O2 Sims - not just Virgin Sims that use the O2 network ) by Virgin Mobile, another example of their incompetence and indifference to the "service" and "support" that they provide. Here are several of the posts about the unresolved problem -

Solved: Sim Application option missing - Virgin Media Community - 5239361

No it isn't solved

Virgin Roaming not working on iphone in India - Virgin Media Community - 5240212

Belgium numbers format - Sim Applications option m... - Virgin Media Community - 5248980

Solved: Changing from national to international roaming - Virgin Media Community - 5248920

Not solved either

SIM toolkit - Virgin Media Community - 5245119

Sim Application option missing (SIM Toolkit) - Virgin Media Community - 5246628

Don't expect any meaningful reply from Virgin Media, just the usual "sorry to hear that you are having a problem ", "have you tried your Sim in another phone or another Sim in your phone", e.t.c. and the old favourite of removing the problem from view by burying it by going to Private Messages.

Regards,

Dave

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And to rub salt in the wounds O2 customers can use their normal allowance in the CI and IOM as they are included in EU roaming!

True the SIM Toolkit won't be needed in future once everyone is on O2 accounts but it is like every other move they have made. If you are a long term customer were you informed you were moved from EE to Vodafone? Again where you informed of you moving off Vodafone to O2? 

They even deny the reason for the SIM Toolkit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I have literally no idea why I've stayed with Virgin for this long. As a regular visitor to Guernsey, the service has been absolutely shocking for years, and this is the last straw. The ridiculous SIM Toolkit was the only way, weirdly convoluted as it was, to get any kind of connectivity in Guernsey. I'm surrounded by friends who are with other providers, who arrive from the UK, switch their phones on and get going. I spend ages faffing around with little or no connection. Now the only way I can connect AT ALL has just been removed. What are you supposed to do? I cannot wait to leave as soon as I get back. There's not a company I'd recommend less than Virgin mobile.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RachelGuernsey 

Well Virgin Mobile won't exist past the end of this year.

sjmullen
Tuning in

Did you find anyway around this? I am stuck in Guernsey and can't get in contact with VM without a phone signal since they seem to have removed their Live Chat! 

Good Morning @sjmullen, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear you're also struggling to use our services whilst away in Guernsey.

Have you previously been able to connect to the services without the assistance of the SIM toolkit?

Can you please confirm if roaming was set up on your device before leaving the UK?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Good Morning @sjmullen, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear you're also struggling to use our services whilst away in Guernsey.

Have you previously been able to connect to the services without the assistance of the SIM toolkit?

Can you please confirm if roaming was set up on your device before leaving the UK?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Yes someone from VM checked yesterday - roaming is set up. There is no phone signal whatsoever. 

Hello,

In answer to your question, no, it is not resolved. When I left Guernsey after my last visit being unable to connect, I spent half an hour on the phone in the UK, where I live, to Virgin customer care who don't know anything about the SIM Toolkit or why/how I could not connect without it. Despite checking with supervisors etc. They checked all the standard things on my account such as roaming, etc.  

The only thing they insisted I do is change my SIM card to a brand new Virgin SIM (they said they could not move me over to O2 and send me an O2 one). I maintained that a brand new Virgin SIM is not going to be the solution unless the SIM Toolkit can be accessed. They nonetheless want me to try this and have given me a new one. I return to Guernsey this coming weekend and they have promised to call me when I return to find out if it worked. 

I imagine we will simply remain unable to access any Guernsey networks until such time (which they are unable to tell me) as we are moved to O2. If I can't access Guernsey networks this coming weekend, I will leave Virgin.