cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM only cancellation window?

Jt14
Tuning in

Hello all, hoping someone can help with a question about the cancellation window for sim only plans.

I have virgin broadband and am considering trying out a sim only deal, the issue is that where I live seems to be in a sun spot or something. I have had sim cards from every other UK provider and none of them get any signal whatsoever in my entire estate. Until I commute a good few miles away from where I live I am wholely dependant on whatsapp and wifi/data communication.  So I am a bit concerned about getting a virgin sim, being potentially locked into a 12 month minimum contract and it be just as pointless as the other networks I have tried.

I am asking here because the website to be blunt is pretty poorly presented.

1. I log in to my account, click the "Add SIM to my package" link.
  2. It brings me to a page where the only clickable buttons are one saying "Ready to get some Oomph?
    Get in touch "
  3. Clicking that lowers me to a link giving me a button to "Chat now" "Chat with our online agents"
  4. Clicking that button logs me out and redirects me back to the https://www.virginmedia.com/ home page.

Also there is some conflicting information, I found one sim only page that didn't mention a cancellation grace period and I found another one that said the sim only plans are 30 day rolling contracts so you are able to cancel, you just need to give warning.

I should also mention I have used the coverage checker it says "4G Good indoors & outdoors" but since the other networks that have failed me also claim to have good service in the area I cant put much faith in that.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In a nutshell if no other network SIMs work, neither will Virgin. 

Virgin Mobile is a Virtual network which now runs off Vodafone. No Vodafone signal = no Virgin.

In your situation I would not tie myself into any sort of contract. Plenty of 30 day deals available these days, many with no credit checks.

Oomph is tied into your Broadband and would make cancellation under 14 days quite difficult 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

fair enough, thought it might be the case that virgin wont work either but like I said, tried all the other networks so was considering finishing off the list.

As you say if virgins coverage is provided through vodafone's infrastructure then I guess my question about cancellation is redundant since it isnt worth risking a contract regardless.

It's a shame but I appreciate your answer. Thank you

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, there are only 4 networks, EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three. Every other network you see piggy backs off one of those.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello Jt14

Thanks for posting in regards to our SIM Only deals and the timeframe for cancellation, we appreciate you raising the question via the forums.

As enlli has already confirmed there are only 4 UK networks, we use the Vodafone network so if this is a SIM you have tried previously without success, as much as we'd love to have you with us the result wouldn't be any different I'm afraid.

You mentioned an Oomph package, if you are set up on this then you would also be set up with a SIM card, this is free (providing you remain within your allowances and there are no additionally charged items) for as long as you remain on that particular package.

Rob