Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SIM expiring and can't get a new one sent on (very) old account

Hi,

I keep getting texts saying I need to get a new SIM or my phone will stop working. Marvellous.

However, I've been completely unable to get in contact or actually do that. 

The website will not accept my password, and bizarrely neither will it let me reset the password even with the correct email and phone number combination, saying:

''We couldn't reset your password

We think there may be a problem with the email address you’re using. Please check you’re registered and that you’ve typed your email address correctly.'

My account is VERY old (My last email using the address is dated 2013. I'm pretty sure I set up the password in 2009, and the phone/number pre-date even that) and I'm also pretty sure of what the password is (because I securely store these things in a secure login chain).

I can phone up, but although the number and email address are fine, and I'm calling on the phone we're talking about, this is not enough information. The password is again not accepted and I don't recall ever setting up any memorable information, reminders or security questions. This is over a decade ago. Can I verify when I last topped the phone up? No, I cannot because it was six months ago (pre-lockdown) and oddly since then I've deleted the topup text. I also don't have a bank record of buying the voucher because the shop only accepts cash for top-up vouchers, presumably because they're fraud magnets.

Now, my password doesn't meet the current password standards. This is setting off alarm bells, because I suspect it may have been rejected or changed during some kind of update in the last decade, which has rendered it invalid or broken the update system. Or the form won't let me enter it, because it assumes it's going to be invalid.

I have my phone. I use it pretty regularly.

I have my email address, yes even after more than ten years.

However I cannot convince your systems that I am me, I exist, and yes I would like you to send me a replacement SIM to the house where I live now (rather than any previous address you may still have on record, if you have one at all)

Previous Virgin accounts have form for changing my details unilaterally - I had one Virgin Media account where somehow a space got added onto the end of my name in the email address during a data migration. That was a fun one to sort out.

Anyway, all I want is a password reset link sent to my registered email account!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIM expiring and can't get a new one sent on (very) old account

I didn't recall setting up a password etc., but was asked for characters from my birthplace, which worked. Have you been asked for a specific memorable word?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I was not asked for my birthplace, and it's quite likely not attached to my account as I may not have originally been asked for it.

I think I set this account up in 2009, and haven't had any contact with Virgin Mobile since.

The SIM is over 20 years old.

There's an easy fix to this - the account is an irrelevant red herring.

I am the controller of this SIM and number. It is physically in my possession. If you call the number, I will answer. If you text the number, I will read it. If you are trying to send out a replacement SIM you need to send it to me whether I match the details on the Virgin database or not.

Just send me a text message asking for my address and send the SIM there. 

Or (less reliably, due to poor signal) phone my number and ask me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ironically, I did get a text message asking for my post code, which seemed promising, but that just resulted in a generic 'go to the website!' text back, not anything actually useful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean you can't sign in to your registered account? No idea if it's possible - try setting up another account. I only set up an account when asked for postcode by text, knowing that wouldn't achieve anything.

Not necessarily birthplace, that was asked for when I said I didn't have a password, and subsequent contacts have asked for that. Just looked at my profile and surprised to find I gave birthplace as  memorable word.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can try to sign up, and it'll send me a verification code, but then it wants my 'security answer' and I've no idea what that is or even if I ever set one up.

It's not a useful path really, as it just needs a password of a different form. Apparently the access code on its own is not enough proof that you are the phone holder.

It says I can phone 789 to get it reset, but so far in order to get it reset I need to know the other password. And round and round and round we go.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello CdrJameson

Thanks for your post 

If you ever needed to call us and we ask for specific characters of a word on your account 

This is the one you use for your online account 

Gareth _L

0 Kudos