cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM advice please

JoBail26
Joining in

Hi, I'm looking for a PAYG SIM to use in a back up phone which is to be left in the car for emergency/ breakdown purposes. No need for any data, just a PAYG SIM which doesn't have to be topped up every month. Last one we had just needed to be used every 30 days to keep activated so checked balance, sent a text etc. to maintain the credit and service. Can I get a Virgin SIM for this? Thanks in advance. Jo 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin closed down their PAYG service on the 11th January this year.

ASDA do what you want or maybe Giffgaff  but all of them will require use in either 90 or 180 days to keep them alive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin closed down their PAYG service on the 11th January this year.

ASDA do what you want or maybe Giffgaff  but all of them will require use in either 90 or 180 days to keep them alive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This is the problem I'm finding, not many providers offer the PAYG SIM any longer. I'll give Asda a go. Thank you 😊

PAYG (virtual networks usually piggyback O2, ee or vodafone.)

Most supermarkets have a range of payg sims that usually cost £1, but make sure they say payg on the packaging.

Also make sure the credit rolls over and does not require a monthly payment.

They can be topped up using vouchers or with a phone via a credit card,or via a top up card.

The big players can have costly call rate charges, so supermarkets or other providers are cheaper, and most shops only offer contracts.

The payg phones do need to be used every 90 days or the sim will de-activate, I had that happen myself with giffgaff.

I was with asda myself previously but they switched from ee to vodafone, check the customer reviews on trustpilot.

Some contracts can be as cheap as £5/month and  an alternative to payg.

Customer service can be patchy with some payg services, and although still available can be hard to find.

If calls only are required top up with credit only if data not needed, then do not choose a bundle.

Shame virgin have dropped payg, but it is still available with giffgaff, tesco, asda, lycamobile, vodfaone and many others if you google payg, but some companies no longer make it easy to get payg and not easy to set up.

The call costs vary a lot and information on payg is not easy to find now, it is getting harder to find or can be costly with the bigger operators.

I  use giffgaff, tesco as main phones, (lycamobile as a backup phone).

Giffgaff payg is good,but is "online only" with no help phone line but works well, tesco has a good uk helpline and a light user tarriff if you ask for that and I am finding it good, but avoid buying packs/monthly costs, Asda is cheap but the calll centres are outside of the uk now via vodafone.

Always check the customer reviews on trustpilot, and there are cheap contracts now with companies such as lebara as an alternative to payg, I have not tried that, I still prefer payg which means you only pay for what you use. The 90 days of inactivity with payg is a nuisance if you do not make regular calls,the phone will stop working and you loose credit, I usually top up with as little as £5 or £10, some have a minimum of £10.

alf28

JoeKing1VM
Superfast

I have an O2 sim on PAYGO classic package. This basically is a Old style PAYGO where by all I have to do to keep my number active is use the service within 120 days. This could be data usage, text or call.

There are many PAYGO sim cards where they are monthly packages where each month you need to buy the service.

Best thing to do is find out which networks works in the areas you need the service, plus find those that offer an open plan be it, 90, 120 etc days use of service to keep number and service active, without going into a monthly PAYGO contract.

Joe