cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM activation

JCROMP
Joining in

Having problems activating a new sim on an old phone, message says "SIM not installed"

3 REPLIES 3

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello JCROMP

Thanks for taking the time to raise the SIM activation issues with us via the forums, welcome to the forums it's great to have you here!

Can you confirm the following please:

• Is this a new account or just a new SIM?
  • Are you trying to use the SIM in a new phone or a phone you have used a SIM in before?
  • If you have used a SIM in this handset before, was it a SIM for a different provider?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob, 

1) it’s a new SIM card only

2) I am trying to activate the Sim on one of my old phones on behalf of my brother who has left the uk but still has his Virgin  account . he was informed the new Sim has to be activated in the uk, hence my involvement.

3) Yes, when I was using the phone before it was with 3 

Jenny

Hi JCROMP,

Thanks for coming back to us about this issue with your Brother's SIM card, I am sorry it's turned out to be a difficult task!

As you've said the device was purchased from Three, the handset may still be locked to that network. Do you know if you have spoken to Three about unlocking the handset previously?

We would be unable to unlock it from our side as we can only unlock handsets that are purchased from ourselves. So if you're not sure, I would get in touch with Three and get them to investigate further 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L