cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Tool Kit

Peterjr
Joining in

Hi, I have been struggling to find an answer to the missing SIM tool kit on my Samsung A52 and my wifes Nokia 6.  Following Virgin sending a replacement SIM which did not resolve the problem I had lengthy discussions with 3 different Virgin Customer Service techs yesterday. After much testing I was asked to speak with Samsung.  Samsung remotely accessed my phone and could not resolve the issue.  As this is not confined just to Samsung and my phone, it has also disappeared from my wifes Nokia phone and I have also tried the SIM in a third phone, and the Toolkit is not available to access.. I don't believe it to be a phone fault.

SIM tool kit is however installed and running under Settings/Apps but of course you cant access the app from there.

On reading this forum it seems I am not alone and the suggestion is that Virgin are migrating to the O2 network and as such are dispensing with the need for the Toolkit which is being removed in stages.  Can anyone advise if this is true?

I am concerned as I am going overseas again next month and I know that I had to manually change from National to International in order to connect to the foreign networks.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Peterjr, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some sim tool issues.

The sim tool kit is a software which Samsung install on your system.

Have you made sure to see this is all fully updated and what error messages are you getting?

We are migrating your services over to an O2 plan which you can find out more about here.

However this should not affect this issue this is more like a software issues, did you mention this Samsung?

I can see you also have reached out to the team this morning did they help at all?

Your network should just change on its own when you reach the overseas destination. Thanks

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks for your reply. 

Have you made sure to see this is all fully updated and what error messages are you getting?  Not sure how to update SIM Tool Kit, but yes Android V13 updated early January.  No error messages

We are migrating your services over to an O2 plan which you can find out more about here.

However this should not affect this issue this is more like a software issues, did you mention this Samsung?  Yes, discussed possibility of software issue but seems unlikely as not confined to just my Samsung phone, as mentioned same issue with different Virgin SIM on Nokia 6, and my SIM on a third phone.

I can see you also have reached out to the team this morning did they help at all? No, I was asked to post this in the open forum

Your network should just change on its own when you reach the overseas destination. I was overseas in December and the phone would not auto change, I had to access SIM tool kit to do this manually, then was advised to change it back when in UK.  So now concerned that when I go overseas again next month it will not auto change and I will not have access to the SIM tool kit to do it manually.

Can I just check your phones are definitely sim free? 

This does sound like a software issues in my eyes, I could look at getting you a new sim card out to see if this would make any difference for you.

Other than this I would personally go into the local Samsung shop so an expert can look at this.

You need to make sure you have roaming turned on in the app and phone settings. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ah, a software issue that's effecting different phones going by posts on here.

Not that SIM Toolkit is not required on O2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your response:

Can I just check your phones are definitely sim free?  Yes all phone are SIM free (Not tied to a network)

This does sound like a software issues in my eyes, I could look at getting you a new sim card out to see if this would make any difference for you. We had a new SIM card yesterday.

Other than this I would personally go into the local Samsung shop so an expert can look at this.  Yes this is an option but I don't think I have one nearby.

You need to make sure you have roaming turned on in the app and phone settings. Under Settings Mobile Networks/Data Roaming is ON.

Under Settings SIM card status  - Roaming is OFF.  But without SIM tool kit I don't think I can turn it on unless there is another way.

My Account at Virgin - Roaming is ON

Thanks Peter

We have had some reports of this Peterjr and it may be due to a migration to O2, we're still trying to get a definitive answer on this as I have an S22 plus and it too didn't have the toolkit anymore.

Rob

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Seems some team members know more than others.

From another Team Member

Thanks for your post, and welcome back to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear there have been some problems with your device's Roaming Service and SIM Toolkit. We've raised this to the relevant teams and it has been advised that @enlli's thoughts on this are correct. The SIM Toolkit is no longer available for any SIM that is on the O2 Network (whether directly with O2 or one of our Virgin Mobile SIMs) as it is no longer needed.

You can update your Roaming service directly in your My Virgin Mobile portal, by doing the following once you are signed in:

1. Select the Plans and devices tab
  2. Select the Manage services tab
  3. Turn ON roaming under the Going abroad
  4. Turn OFF international call barring under Call barring.

Please let us know if you continue to experience issues with your Roaming, and we'll be more than happy to help further.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'll get this looked into enlli as it seems some cross information but either way it looks like if you have been migrated to O2 the SIM Toolkit is no longer available on the device.

Rob

Thank you for this.  I look forward to hearing what you discover.  

Can you explain why when I check Under Settings SIM card status  - Roaming is OFF.  Even when it is Switched ON when accessed via The My Virgin Mobile Portal Under Plans and devices\ Manage services\Going abroad as suggested.

Very confusing

Peter